• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied Flycatchers? (1 Viewer)

Mustang Birder

Jersey
Hi Guys
I will be visiting Newcastle for a week at the end of May, and I would really like to see some Pied Flycatchers
I have heard that Low Barns is a good place to see them and Redstarts
am I right in this or is there any more reliable sites for them in the area?
Thanks

Hi Guys
I will be visiting Newcastle for a week at the end of May, and I would really like to see some Pied Flycatchers
I have heard that Low Barns is a good place to see them and Redstarts
am I right in this or is there any more reliable sites for them in the area?
Thanks

Yes, there are Pied Flys at Low Barns (up to 6 at the moment), but there are also a good few in the Muggleswick/Derwent Gorge area west of Consett (about 30 mins from Newcastle/Gateshead) - with the added attraction of Redstart, Red Kite, Wood Warbler, Tree Pipit, Cuckoo etc, plus Ring Ouzels nearby. Low Barns can get quite busy, but the roads and walks around the Muggleswick area are much quieter.
Park on the minor road at approx NZ059487 and explore the surrounding wooded valley. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=405950&Y=548750&A=Y&Z=115
Best to approach from the west via Muggleswick village as the connecting road to the southeast is closed at present.

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark
I'm going to do a bit of research and have a better look at Muggleswick and I will probably give there ago instead of Low barns.
Especially if theres a chance of Redstart and Wood warbler aswell.

You've obviously got transport so why not have a look at both? Driving time is only about 30 minutes between the two venues. Low Barns has a friendly little cafe, facilities etc. It costs £2.50 to park if you aren't a trust member.

its all time dependent 2slo, I only have 3 mornings to get out and about, and I want to get a few other areas in as well like RSPB saltholme, but if I have time I will try to get to both done

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back