• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Australia by George Mathews!? (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Birds of Australia by Gregory Mathews!?

It´s time to tackle one of the "madcaps" or "wild ones" among Scientific Bird Name Authors; the incomparable, often scolded (but, irrespective of that, still valid!) Gregory Macalister Mathews!

In his famous "Birds of Australia" Volume II 1912 the following (and many other) Birds are described for the first time:

1. Hutton’s Shearwater Puffinus huttoni
2. MacGillivray's Prion Pachyptila (salvini) macgillivrayi
3. Medium-billed Prion Pachyptila (vittata) salvini (a k a "Salvin's Broad-billed Prion", "Salvin's Prion" or "Salvin's Whale-bird")
4. Magellanic Diving-Petrel Pelecanoides magellani (a k a "Magellan Diving Petrel")

Unfortunately none of the twelve volumes of this ornithological milestone is represented in a Swedish Library ... and so far I haven´t been able to either find it nor read it!

Does anyone of all Bird Forum readers have access to this volume (No 2) or any of those four type descriptions?

Last edited:
I do not have access. And only 225 sets were ever produced, most of which are in institutional collections. I cannot find it online.

It´s time to tackle one of the "madcaps" or "wild ones" among Scientific Bird Name Authors; the incomparable, often scolded (but, irrespective of that, still valid!) George Mathews!
[/B][/COLOR]

Madcap or not, best to get his name right, even in absentia; his name was Gregory Mathews.

Thumb down ... on my behalf

Guy, your are absolutely right! Birds of Australia, volume 2, by Gregory Macalister Mathews is, of course, the one I was aiming at.

That´s the author I´ve been searching for, for weeks ... and I cannot explain why I got it wrong. I´ve now changed it in my #1.

Apparently his not the only one "in absentia" ... so is my brain!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back