Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The young Gull is still squeaking in backyard. Need help?

Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 23:12   #1
Gadabout
Follow Me

The young Gull is still squeaking in backyard. Need help?

I do not know if I hit the title, but the point is that for about a week I hear squeak from the yard. Today I noticed that this young gull seems to be making these sounds (I guessed it was Gull but I could not locate him). Of course, I did not give him anything to eat or drink, I did not take him in my arms and I did not take photos with him. I recorded it and kept the distance. I do not know if he needs help, do I have it where to report? It's 11:11 PM (Scotland) and he's screaming every now and then.
And it's not that it somehow bothers me because I'm used to their loud cries, the more that I live on the bottom floor and the gulls are on the roof. I'm just worried about him(cats may want to eat it?).
Does anyone on the basis of his behavior and what he looks like can tell if he needs help?
Below is a link to the movie.

LINK

Last edited by Gadabout : Thursday 12th July 2018 at 23:15. Reason: correction
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 23:26   #2
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Yep, a young gull, probably a Herring Gull. It is too young to fly yet, so probably fell off whichever roof it nested on. If you can get to the rooftop, carry it up there and put it back on the roof where its parents can get to it easily. Be careful picking it up, its parents might try to attack!
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 23:27   #3
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

Done!

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 23:31   #4
Gadabout
Follow Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Yep, a young gull, probably a Herring Gull. It is too young to fly yet, so probably fell off whichever roof it nested on. If you can get to the rooftop, carry it up there and put it back on the roof where its parents can get to it easily. Be careful picking it up, its parents might try to attack!
I was just downstairs, still sitting there. Gulls are gossiped around and I have the impression that they are watching over him. I'm almost sure that they will attack. I was once attacked when I passed a dead gull on the street. If I wanted to move this gull, I would have to bring him to the block, to the apartment and let it out through the window. Or maybe I should call someone? I do not have experience with birds, I would not like to hurt him.
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 11:18   #5
Gadabout
Follow Me

I called Scottish spca and I was informed that if the chick is not in danger (dogs, street, busy place), leave them alone.
At night, the seagull organized a walk through the staircase, went up the stairs to the first floor, leaving feces in several places.

Now everything in the hands of nature.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: