Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

An odd 1w Common Gull

Old Tuesday 19th February 2019, 16:16   #1
Dean Nicholson
Cloacal Protuberant.

An odd 1w Common Gull

Whilst grilling the Gullage near Skegness on Friday I bumped into this small and dusky 1w and honestly convinced myself i was looking at a brachyrhynchus(!)
After sleeping on it i have since lost a bit of faith and think that a dark canus could actually look like this but there are a couple of things that would still seem a bit odd for that..... firstly the size of the thing - It was only present about 2 minutes so i couldn't snap it alongside any other Common Gulls but you can compare it in size to the BHG in the first shot to get an impression - it was about the same size as a BHG and looked tiny next to Herring Gulls, It wasn't only the small size that was eye-catching either, even on a 'normal' sized CG the dark markings on the head and underparts were striking.... far darker than any other 1w canus present.... the last shot i fluked as the bird flew off (never to be seen again) shows a very dark/messy underwing with a dirty grey ground colour which is obviously darker than the uppertail covs, this is quite different to the pale/whitish looking underwing usually seen on canus? also the brown stretches right down past the legs/lower belly which i also think is unusual in canus? and the final thing that niggles is that even on dark and well streaked 1w canus they usually show an unmarked whitish throat/chin area.....
The upper and undertail coverts are certainly streaked but enough for brachyrhynchus? there are certainly some birds on GRO and other sites from America which show a similar amount of streaking but it's not too difficult to find dark end canus with similar either.... and i can't really see enough of the tail to comment.
I also think the finely fringed upper tertials are also a better fit for brachyrhynchus and i won't even go into that oddly small head and bill...
Throughout the rest of the session i payed particular attention to other 1w birds present and struggled to find any with obvious streaking to under-tail coverts or even with any underpart streaking below the upper breast sides, the underwings in flight also appeared much whiter than the subject bird too, often appearing similar to a 1w Casp.

Comments more than welcome if only to tell me i'm looking too hard!

Cheers
Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01560 (Medium).JPG
Views:	30
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	687628  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01561 (Medium).JPG
Views:	30
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	687629  Click image for larger version