• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My final Oly 550 results (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Next week (or the one after) I make the change to DSLR. I have been learning with the Oly 550 and am keeping it for general use. I have seen many comments (most derogatory) of this camera but don't recall anyone posting photos from similar type cameras as evidence.
I took these yesterday. All 3 are on full zoom = 820mm. It was a lousy day (weather wise) so all were on 800 or 1600 ISO.
As I have said many times I am not trying to compare to DSLR but for the money I think it's good value.

Attachments

• Bullfinch.jpg
    Bullfinch.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 309
  • In the beak.jpg
    In the beak.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 276
  • Redshank.jpg
    Redshank.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 200
Hello David,
that Bullfinch looks pretty good to my inexpert eyes.
I certainly agree with your proposal to keep the Olympus as well as getting a new DSLR. I have found that while one can carry both a "short" and a"long" DSLR lens on a hike, I often find that when a "good" bird turns up, that I have the "short" lens on, and cannot change it for the "long" one quick enough to get the shot.
In consequence, I am now carrying both my Pentax and my Minolta A1 in an effort to get over this problem.

Thanks for that comment-I was pleased with the Bullfinch. I'm also pleased with the others at full zoom.
Which part of France are you in ?

Here we are David.
The Lot valley, West of Cahors.
Following example of my problem.
Happily photographing rock formation - wide angle.
When along comes a Vulture, sailing overhead.
Scramble to change to telephoto lens.

Result - too late - Vulture's tail-end only.

Attachments

• Les Arcs36.JPG
    Les Arcs36.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Vulture344a.jpg
    Vulture344a.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 170
Thats a shame. What a beautiful area-we are thinking of going back to France next year. We used to go South (Verdon Gorge area) but are thinking more inland this time.
I don't think the Oly would have got much-it isn't much good at flight shots (then again that could be me)

Oly 550

Hi Dave
Re Oly 550
Here's some pics from my Lesvos trip.
Believe me I took a lot and some are OK, however the camera's performance still disapoints me.
Obviously at close range it is better, since the Camera shake is not quite as big a problem.
Best
Mick

Attachments

• Bee Eater Kalloni 150507 (Small).jpg
    Bee Eater Kalloni 150507 (Small).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Crested Lark Kalloni 0030507 (Small).jpg
    Crested Lark Kalloni 0030507 (Small).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Roller Petra-Kalloni Rd 130507 (Small).jpg
    Roller Petra-Kalloni Rd 130507 (Small).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Winchat Kalloni 050307 (Small).jpg
    Winchat Kalloni 050307 (Small).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Woodchat Shrike Anaxos 030507 (Small).jpg
    Woodchat Shrike Anaxos 030507 (Small).jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 173
More Oly 550

By the way nice Bullfinch pic Dave.
Here is a few more oly pics from my Lesvos trip. Most were taken at distances of between 15 and 25 meters with the 1.7 teleconverter attached. All are cropped / edited.

Best Regards
Mick

Thats a shame. What a beautiful area-we are thinking of going back to France next year. We used to go South (Verdon Gorge area) but are thinking more inland this time.
I don't think the Oly would have got much-it isn't much good at flight shots (then again that could be me)

Attachments

• LITTLE BITTERN KALLONI EAST RIVER 040507 (Small).jpg
    LITTLE BITTERN KALLONI EAST RIVER 040507 (Small).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 163
  • RED BACKED SHRIKE JUV SIGRI 060507 (Small).jpg
    RED BACKED SHRIKE JUV SIGRI 060507 (Small).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 162
  • SQUACCO HERON SIGRI-ERRESOS FORD 080507 (Small).jpg
    SQUACCO HERON SIGRI-ERRESOS FORD 080507 (Small).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 166
  • SUB ALPINE WARBLER PETRA 090507 (Small).jpg
    SUB ALPINE WARBLER PETRA 090507 (Small).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 142
  • WOODPECKER MID SPOTTED SIGRI 060507 (Small).jpg
    WOODPECKER MID SPOTTED SIGRI 060507 (Small).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 169
More Pics

More pics attached.
By the way nice Bullfinch pic Dave.
Here is a few more oly pics from my Lesvos trip. Most were taken at distances of between 15 and 25 meters with the 1.7 teleconverter attached. All are cropped / edited.

Best Regards
Mick

Attachments

• BLACK WINGED STILT SIGRI 060507 (Small).jpg
    BLACK WINGED STILT SIGRI 060507 (Small).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 151
  • LONG LEGGED BUZZARD SIGRI 060507 (Small).jpg
    LONG LEGGED BUZZARD SIGRI 060507 (Small).jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 139
  • OLIVACEOUS WARBLER EAST RIVER 120507 (Small).jpg
    OLIVACEOUS WARBLER EAST RIVER 120507 (Small).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 155
  • SUB ALPINE WARBLER SKALOCHORI 070507 (Small) (Small).jpg
    SUB ALPINE WARBLER SKALOCHORI 070507 (Small) (Small).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 133
  • WHITETHROAT EAST RIVER 120507 (Small) (Small).jpg
    WHITETHROAT EAST RIVER 120507 (Small) (Small).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 142
Mick
thanks for those-I'm really glad you posted them as you must have had an enjoyable time. It's great to see birds we could never see at home.
You mentioned the distance-if you read the comments of the DSLR boys most of the good photos are really close from a hide. Keith (who seems to get a lot of excellent photos) takes a lot in a bird sanctuary which is a free flying but netted enclosure-still brilliant photos but I think closer than you were.
Take a look at these from last week end. All taken while I was on a cliff walk around Anglesey but probably 10-15 metres.
PS I've just bought a D30 and ordered a 100-400 but I will still use the Oly for general walkabout.

Attachments

• 59.JPG
    59.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 70.JPG
    70.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Chough.JPG
    Chough.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 174
Your Pics

Hi Dave
I must say that those photo's of yours are pretty good for a point and shoot.
You must be choughed !
I guess that you share the same experience of trying
to get one good one out of a multiple frame shoot. ?
I take it that it is that a female stonechat , by the way?
Lesvos was great (visit the vacational reports Levos thread) though not as good as last year , since many wetlands and rivers on the island had dried up.
Apparently 10 days rain since June 2006 which is unusual, since it normaly buckets down and sonws in winter - read Carol Drinwater's "the Olive Route".
Still it's probably the most safe,enjoyable and accessable European birding destination for Spring migration, despite the fact that it peaks mid - late April
(no package flights then though).
re the Camera - overall I'm still a little disapointed, particularly since the macro wasn't great either. Some thing's can't be helped, like the Roller appearing over the middle of a main road, against the morning light.
It's at its most usfull as a identification tool, for instance the cincerous bunting photo attched , which was taken at distance of about 40 - 50 metres. GIven that, for an hand held Camera it's probably not too bad.
Good luck with the SLR - please post some photo's.
Still will not auto focus lock on moving objects though ( raptors)
Regards
Mick

Mick
thanks for those-I'm really glad you posted them as you must have had an enjoyable time. It's great to see birds we could never see at home.
You mentioned the distance-if you read the comments of the DSLR boys most of the good photos are really close from a hide. Keith (who seems to get a lot of excellent photos) takes a lot in a bird sanctuary which is a free flying but netted enclosure-still brilliant photos but I think closer than you were.
Take a look at these from last week end. All taken while I was on a cliff walk around Anglesey but probably 10-15 metres.
PS I've just bought a D30 and ordered a 100-400 but I will still use the Oly for general walkabout.

Attachments

• Cinerous Bunting Ipsilou 070506 (Small).jpg
    Cinerous Bunting Ipsilou 070506 (Small).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 163
  • CRETZSCHMAR'S BUNTING JUV IPSILOU 070507 (Small).jpg
    CRETZSCHMAR'S BUNTING JUV IPSILOU 070507 (Small).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 173
  • LONG LEGGED BUZZARD SIGRI 060507 (Small).jpg
    LONG LEGGED BUZZARD SIGRI 060507 (Small).jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 161
Mick,

No I don't, but looking at the images in some there seems to be excessive light flare. The latest from David don't seem to have this problem. He may use a hood, I don't know.

But, there is something wrong here, you should be getting better, clearer images.

Unfortunately, it seems that the autofocus is not doing its job very well. At 1/500 shutter speed (on the 1st pic), camera shake is probably not the culprit, although with extreme zoom it is always a worry.

Just to clarify David....were those shots in Anglesey taken with a DSLR or with the 550?

Just seen this question so excuse the delay in answering. They were taken with the 550 plus 1.7 TC hand held on full zoom. They really aren't the "best of a number" as I only had time to get off 1 or 2 shots (1 of the chough).
Again I make the point-I don't expect DSLR quality from this camera but I couldn't have got them with a DSLR-it was on a length walk and the camera + TC is so easy to carry.
Similarly with this one-It was on south Stack and I really wouldn't want to carry a DSLR with 400mm lense up and down the 800 steps.

Attachments

• P5280155.JPG
    P5280155.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 174
David, that's interesting - those shots are very sharp - i.e. as sharp as a good super-zoom should be able to do without too much trouble. Hard to know what to make of the differing sharpness levels we are seeing in this thread. Almost seems as though there might be a variation in particular individual cameras?

Hi Rah
At first I think I was expecting too much. I now know what it can/can't do. I took the attached in my garden yesterday. It was a difficult shot as the sun was shining in & through the leaves and a strong breeze was moving the branches a lot. I have binned about 25 shots and kept just 2.
Mick-I am in Stafford on Tuesday (Jcn 14). Is it worth me visiting Shugborough (I've never been) ? or can you suggest anything better-I will have 2 hours to spare.
Dave

Attachments

• P6020227.JPG
    P6020227.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 172
Mick,

What's concerning me with your images, is the flatness of colour density in the results. It might be worth just checking your settings with David and having a test shooting session.

If you are still getting the same then I think it is the camera. Something is wrong with the focusing information being sent through the three colour channels and processed.

Yes, I agree with pe'rigin, seeing as how Mick and David seem to live near each other. It would definitely be worth getting together to check out Mick's camera. Good idea!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back