• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help choosing my new scope (1 Viewer)

Pretty darn impossible with Opticron - I only noticed because of that infamous recent review which tested both their top 80mm scopes.

mickporter said:
This time also compare them with Zeiss. (Although looking at the Zeiss forum above here, it appears to be mainly moans and negative stuff posted!)
One of the great dangers with posting on here like this is that each particular model has its enthusiasts. Its like cameras. People on the Fuji camera forums have a huge rivalary with guys from the Olympus forum. Each will go to great lengths to defend his or her favourite brand. Wars often break out there. To a Fuji fanatic even if they brought out a matchbox with a pinhole in it, so long as it was branded Fuji it would be the best camera in the World. Far better than anything Olympus or Cannon could invent. HEHEHE.

Mick, I too recommend to take a good look at Zeiss. See the gallery here and you'll see what kind of quality it can deliver. One alternative worth mentioning could be Kowa TSN-823/4 - if you are already familiar with its focusing. I have recently compared it quite a lot with a Swaro AT80HD (w 20-60x zoom) and in terms of resolution, color balance and absence of distortions I would put Kowa slightly ahead of Swaro. IanF has also said that it even compares well with the new Swaro ATS-scope. My only complaints with Kowa has been its relatively short eye relief (using my Spidertech adapter) - but if the rumored new eyepieces (with a lot more eye relief) do materialize this spring, THAT could be an even stronger alternative.

Of course we have strong feelings for our expensive optics, but I have always admired how civilized people here can behave (maybe it is just British ;) ) - compared to almost any other hobby-related discussion groups. I wouldn't be too worried about making a war here between fanboys of Nikon, Swaro, Zeiss, Leica etc.

Ilkka :t:

Ragna said:
Mick i am suprised you could not see any difference between the Opticron and Nikon82 as the nikon is twice the price.Iam sure if you had view in difficult lighting conditions then you would notice a difference.You may also like to try the Leica APO77(In Focus dont stock Leica)these with a 30x eyepiece are very well priced at the moment.The 30x eyepice i think is a far better option for digiscoping.

He should indeed take a look at the Leica APO 77, if only because it is quite a bit cheaper than the Zeiss and Swaro, and optically is as good as any (at least to my eyes).

I recently went through the same process of deciding which ~80 scope to buy and to be honest they are all excellent.

I found that the reviews on the net tended to match what I saw when I tried them. Another good review is here:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/GearGuide/

Here is an older review by the same people:

http://birds.cornell.edu/publications/livingbird/winter98/ScopesWI98.htm#Table

Ignore the BW magazine scopes review: it's both nonsense and technically inaccurate.

One point to note if astronomical use is an option, the Zeiss, and maybe the Swaro, takes 1.25" astronomical eyepieces.

[I'm glad my advice was helpful Steve. Try my best! (-; (-; Looks as if my son's going to be using the scope soon as I have done a swap around with my brother and now have a Zeiss 85. That Nikon (in with them at the mo for a repair) is an outstanding scope, though, for sure).[/QUOTE]

After all that praise for the Nikon, you go and swap it for a Zeiss.

Steve

scampo said:
They're doing themselves no favours, are they? But maybe they think they know what they're doing. It seems to me that in the HR66ED and ES80, they had the basis of a pair of real winners, but instead they dilute the effect by launching yet another scope - with a non-retro fittable zoom, too (if that makes sense).

They've launched two new 80mm the non ED version of the ES80 (the SD) and the HR80? What non retrofittable zoom? I presume the HR80 can use the standard HDF zoom (pretty sure it does)

To be honest what they should have done is not launch the SD BUT launch a 66mm ES HD.

Did Birdwatching review the HR80? Didn't think they did.

Pete If they did i did'nt notice it,but then i read it in Smiths(didnt dare buy a copy cause if you lot ad found out id ave been banished from bird forum)So only read the bits that mattered like how good the Swarovski was(only joking bit of a fan of the Leica for the price).

steverowe said:
After all that praise for the Nikon, you go and swap it for a Zeiss.

Steve
I feel a bit of a traitor but it's not quite as it seems - it's the best compromise. My son's keen on digiscoping and wanted a bigger objective than his Swaro 65 offers (and which my brother was keen to buy). A good offer on the Zeiss was too good to resist and we kind of "share" anyhow! The Nikon is still in for repair so I'm waiting for its return to compare it more thoroughly with the Zeiss. They're all top scopes, though - who'd really complain with any of them? After so many years managing with an old s/h Kowa 60mm I feel pretty lucky to have the choice!

Last edited:
I put off buying a new scope for a good while, untill i'd tried as many scopes in as many field conditions as possible.
Finally opted for the 82mmNikon, i cant fault it.
Im often out at the end of the day & its great in low light conditions, its relatively compact, waterproof etc.

As for the focus, i was initially 'overturning it' but after a few hours was used to it & its second nature now.
The single focus wheel is great when you're scanning a duck/wader flock, its effortless to focus from front to the back of the group as you pan through to the side.
I know its a perhaps overused cliche, but i REALY could see every feather! the first time i looked through one.

(My other half recently got a pair of Nikon 8x32HG's & they are outstanding too.
We've never had Nikon gear before & i'm never loyal to one brand of anything, apart from a certain Baked Bean.)

Hope you Enjoy Your Choice Mick

StevieEvans..

We can't get used to any other baked beans, either! I do wonder why more people don't go for the Nikon. One look through it and it's so clear that it is a top level piece of kit.

scampo said:
We can't get used to any other baked beans, either! I do wonder why more people don't go for the Nikon. One look through it and it's so clear that it is a top level piece of kit.

Maybe your enthusings are converting us all? Last week at an RSPB reserve near Exeter I saw a Nikon scope: maybe the 78mm. This weekend at Barnes, London, I saw two Nikon 82 ED scopes. Nikon must be very sad at your departure to greener pastures. Did Zeiss pay you a lot? 3:)

Not a penny - I still have the Nikon!!! It's with them for repair at the moment, as I say. When it resurfaces either my son or I will use it and the other one gets the Zeiss! Aren't we the lucky ones, eh?

What I can say is that I am truly enjoying the Zeiss's exceptionally wide fov as I don't have a fixed 30x for it (and I'm not sure it's even needed with such a wide fov in the first place).

scampo said:
Not a penny - I still have the Nikon!!! It's with them for repair at the moment, as I say. When it resurfaces either my son or I will use it and the other one gets the Zeiss! Aren't we the lucky ones, eh?

What I can say is that I am truly enjoying the Zeiss's exceptionally wide fov as I don't have a fixed 30x for it (and I'm not sure it's even needed with such a wide fov in the first place).

Just to clarify things a little, Scampo, are you in a position to truthfully deny that Steve Ingraham is a new work colleague of yours? :eek:)

Clive

william j clive said:
Just to clarify things a little, Scampo, are you in a position to truthfully deny that Steve Ingraham is a new work colleague of yours? :eek:) Clive

Are Zeiss busy recruiting Nikon buffs or what? Leif and I are still waiting for job offers.

william j clive said:
Are Zeiss busy recruiting Nikon buffs or what? Leif and I are still waiting for job offers.

Hold on there Clive, I'm not so keen on Bratwurst ... though some of that lovely black bread wouldn't go amiss ... mmm tempting ...

william j clive said:
Just to clarify things a little, Scampo, are you in a position to truthfully deny that Steve Ingraham is a new work colleague of yours? :eek:)

Clive
I had only been superficially aware of that name until a couple of days ago when I joined the Yahoo digiscoping forum. On the same day, Mr Ingraham also joined and directed us all to view his digiscoped images onhis web site. Well, he gave the wrong link and I (and many others, I should think) ended up surfing his family biography site - you should take a look sometime. So, I know quite a lot about him, but not of him. He's an interesting character as you'll discover if you have a peek!

http://www.lightshedder.com

Ragna said:
Pete If they did i did'nt notice it,but then i read it in Smiths(didnt dare buy a copy cause if you lot ad found out id ave been banished from bird forum)So only read the bits that mattered like how good the Swarovski was(only joking bit of a fan of the Leica for the price).

Graham

what will have Scampo foaming is that I'm wrong. Opticron have just launched 3 new 80mm scopes. The ES80 SD, HR80 and the HR80 ED. Why they need the non ED HR80 when it is in competition with the excellent ES80 ED is beyond me.

They are excellent vfm and underappreciated by those who want a name brand but boy do they compilcate things.

Scampi - what is this zoom lens you were on about??????

When I had my brief acquaintance with the ill-fated ES80, there was a brand new HR80 just arrived in stock at In Focus and I was told that it had a new type zoom lens with, if I recall, a twist up eyecup as opposed to the rubber cup of the ES80 zoom. I was told that the new zoom eyepiece didn't fit the ES80 or other Opticron scopes.

The In Focus salesman did not speak highly of the HR80 in as much as it was far heavier than the ES80 and far more expensive. I didn't give it much of a trial but it didn't look any better than the ES80 on a quick look through (not a fair trial, I have to say - and the view was very good indeed); but it really did seem very heavy and the price put it on a par with the Kowa Prominar.

Now, you say there are more models. Whew - what are they up to? I'm always surprised that Leica and Swaro bother with their non-ED models, but Opticron seem to positively delight in confusing their potential customers.

Pete .Opticron have always been value for money and 17 years ago were a small firm ,now they sell and are known world wide and i see more of their scopes and bins on the reserves than any other but i do think their range is getting to big.Still they do have a large slice of the market so must know what they are doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back