• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Dipper and Mink (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
Any advice where to find dipper and mink in the area as I will be down in a few days and would like to see these.

Thanks

Mark

Any river in the south wales valleys has dippers they should be pretty easy. As for mink.... i've seen them on the river usk a few times. Just out of interest, why do you want to see mink?

As Luke said Dippers are quite commonplace around here.Mink can be seen on both the Usk and Wye rivers and are also seen at the Newport Wetlands quite regularly.

shouldn't be many left at Newport Wetlands.. ;)

I used to walk the river Usk alot a few years ago and only came across a mink once. They are fairly elusive, so i am not sure it would be worth the time and effort looking, but its a lovely part of wales so that could make up for the lack of mink.

I can understand the interest as although Mink are definitely not a welcome addition to our river habitats they are quite cool to see. Dippers are really fantastic to see and would love to see them again - I saw some on the river Lyn when I visited Exmoor a few years ago in my pre-birdwatching days. That really was a thrill and it was worth the trip just to see those!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back