• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Somerset birding extinct? (1 Viewer)

you seem determined to take this thread somewhat off-topic .Perhaps with your 'ruffled feathers' membership you feel entitled to 'ruffle feathers ' across all boards?

You clearly have nothing constructive to add to this thread nor any intention to do so, so I respectfully suggest that you stick to posting in SOS .

I have nothing to hide and I'm happy for other viewers to make up their own minds about your attitude on this thread.

regards
John Cooper

Last edited:
Hi John I would have thought all my posts on this thread were constructive. I have been birding for over forty years and from posts you have started it would appear you are a novice birder. Nothing wrong with that and if I met you in the field I would be happy to help you in any way I could. So there we are we will agree to differ. Regards Roger

you seem determined to take this thread somewhat off-topic .Perhaps with your 'ruffled feathers' membership you feel entitled to 'ruffle feathers ' across all boards?

You clearly have nothing constructive to add to this thread nor any intention to do so, so I respectfully suggest that you stick to posting in SOS .

I have nothing to hide and I'm happy for other viewers to make up their own minds about your attitude on this thread.

regards
John Cooper

:t:

Hi John I would have thought all my posts on this thread were constructive. I have been birding for over forty years and from posts you have started it would appear you are a novice birder. Nothing wrong with that and if I met you in the field I would be happy to help you in any way I could. So there we are we will agree to differ. Regards Roger

so now we get to the point Roger.

This is all about respect isn't it !?...respect for you and your 40 years birding experience.

Perhaps you feel that us novice birders do not show you the respect that you clearly feel you deserve.

Yes I am a novice birder.... I admit as much earlier in this very thread.!:t:
If its not a problem I'm surprised that you feel it necessary to mention it let alone check my previous posts on this forum.;)

I have the utmost respect for your 40 years birding knowledge and experience, however it is my personal view that the rather patronising attitude I feel that you have shown to me in this thread would preclude me from asking you for advice
John

Which of my posts on this thread do you consider to be unconstructive. Just because I don't agree with you does not give you the right to adopt smear tactics. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are. Refer back to my post about the rules of the SOS site and tell me which of the rules of the SOS site you don't agree with. I think they are perhaps a little paranoic about reporting some species in the breeding season but I accept their rule. I am happy to post under my name. I do not slag off other posters. I only report bird related matters. So which of those don't you agree with which prevents you posting. John. Roger

Most Birders post their sightings here:http://pub13.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=1065729998&frmid=14&cp=1&cmd=show
There is no point in posting sightings twice. Regards Roger

So clearly SOS is it to sum up what you said! And then went on in this thread to emphasise this fact.

The OP of this thread I believe was trying to breathe some life into BF 'Somerset Birding' thread which I started in 2008 and clearly failed.

BF Mods encouraged me to start the thread to see if we could get a Somerset presence on BF.

In my opening post (in 2008) I stated quite clearly I was inexperienced and hoped to get more out of it than I would be able to put in. I have pasted that original post below just so that you might be reminded about the stated aim.

Clearly joining what appears to be an 'elite' ornithological group like SOS may appear logical to you Roger with your 40 years of birding however from the few posts you contributed in this thread you have reminded me why I just go about in my county (and Devon and Dorset where I disagree there are excellent ongoing posts by BF members to their local patch) and enjoy my birding and effectively have little to do with the thread I started as obviously birding in Somerset is clearly in SOS's safe hands!

Jamie

Original Post to start Somerset Birding

Dejected at the lack of presence on BirdForum of our beautiful County of Somerset, (notwithstanding there are viable ornitholigical groups in this county), why can't we have a presence here on BirdForum???

I would only wish that any BirdForum members who would like to not only enjoy birding in Somerset to start contributing to to this thread, that way we not only by exchange of information share our own countywide experiences, BUT share what we have with other responsible birders nationwide who otherwise may not be aware of this County's pearls.

Since I am relatively inexperienced, this might become rather boring with my eulogising about common 'ol garden birds or whatever I see, so it's up to others I think to hopefully make this thread more exciting than perhaps I will be able to make it, after all I'm not that experienced and would love this to be a vehicle whereby others in Somerset might, just might, be prepared to share what is happeneing for them.

I have to say now that due to work commitments I am out of the county a lot, and this morning from my B&B window in the Chilterns, I had a dozen Red Kites 'playing tag' right outside the window. I returned this evening to find half a dozen Fallow deer jumping the fence from the village I am in as my headlights picked them out.
Many thanks for taking time out to read this ...it is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Jamie

Norton sub Hamdon
(South) Somerset.

So clearly SOS is it to sum up what you said! And then went on in this thread to emphasise this fact.

The OP of this thread I believe was trying to breathe some life into BF 'Somerset Birding' thread which I started in 2008 and clearly failed.

BF Mods encouraged me to start the thread to see if we could get a Somerset presence on BF.

In my opening post (in 2008) I stated quite clearly I was inexperienced and hoped to get more out of it than I would be able to put in. I have pasted that original post below just so that you might be reminded about the stated aim.

Clearly joining what appears to be an 'elite' ornithological group like SOS may appear logical to you Roger with your 40 years of birding however from the few posts you contributed in this thread you have reminded me why I just go about in my county (and Devon and Dorset where I disagree there are excellent ongoing posts by BF members to their local patch) and enjoy my birding and effectively have little to do with the thread I started as obviously birding in Somerset is clearly in SOS's safe hands!

Jamie

Original Post to start Somerset Birding

Dejected at the lack of presence on BirdForum of our beautiful County of Somerset, (notwithstanding there are viable ornitholigical groups in this county), why can't we have a presence here on BirdForum???

I would only wish that any BirdForum members who would like to not only enjoy birding in Somerset to start contributing to to this thread, that way we not only by exchange of information share our own countywide experiences, BUT share what we have with other responsible birders nationwide who otherwise may not be aware of this County's pearls.

Since I am relatively inexperienced, this might become rather boring with my eulogising about common 'ol garden birds or whatever I see, so it's up to others I think to hopefully make this thread more exciting than perhaps I will be able to make it, after all I'm not that experienced and would love this to be a vehicle whereby others in Somerset might, just might, be prepared to share what is happeneing for them.

I have to say now that due to work commitments I am out of the county a lot, and this morning from my B&B window in the Chilterns, I had a dozen Red Kites 'playing tag' right outside the window. I returned this evening to find half a dozen Fallow deer jumping the fence from the village I am in as my headlights picked them out.
Many thanks for taking time out to read this ...it is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Jamie

Norton sub Hamdon
(South) Somerset.

Sorry Jamie, whilst you have written an excellent post I fail to see why you regard the County's Ornithological Society as elitist. There is a wide cross section of birders who regularly post their sightings on the SOS web site. Perhaps I am wrong but I firmly believe that birders should support their County's Ornithological Society. An excellent annual report is produced and the more people that submit their sightings the better. Regular field meetings are held and these are an excellent way for inexperienced birders to gain knowledge and meet other birders. I am now going to unsubscribe from this thread as I really have nothing further to say on this subject and have no wish to become involved in a slanging match. I will say though that this is the first time I have offered an olive branch and had it flung back in my face albeit not from you. Happy birding. Regards Roger

Well this is all a great shame (it has certainly got the post count up) - I just sympathized with the original, and subsequent, desire to see more sharing about birding in Somerset. I don't think it matters at all if some posts are 'second-hand', copied and pasted from other places- it's all interesting and will be read by me for one

In my experience somerset birders can be eliteist snobs, but probably no worse than birders across the country.

People who have birded for 20+ yrs tend to form clicks, and rarely bother to welcome newcomers. tbh people tend to come and go in this hobby. They burn brightly for few years then get bored and move onto something else.

The internet has reduced the damage that birding clicks/supression do, but its still there. Rare bird info is much more widely distrbuted now then say in the 80s etc.

earleybird, I have to say, that you so come over as a bit of a drama queenin this thread. I think you should have more respect for someone who has birded for 40 years.....if that troubles you then get out of the hobby.

However i do appreciate it can be frustrating, trying to penetrate the social mesh of clicks and networks that inhabit the hobby of birding.

Takes a bit of patience.

congratulations !

You've not only ressurrected a dead thread and answered a post made months ago but you have also managed to insult Somerset birders generally, make a personal insulting remark about a fellow BF member and contribute nothing informative all in the same sentence !:t:
Clique ....
NOUN

'A small group of people with shared interests, who spend time together and exclude others.'

Last edited:
As someone who visits Sand Bay a couple times or more a year if I can get there from the midlands due to the fact that I am a full time carer for my parent I would just like to say the following.

A couple of years ago I began to watch birds after quite a few years away from the hobby and on my visits I have found other birders in the area's around Sand Bay to be very helpful and very pleasant to talk too.

Back at Sand Bay shortly so any help on sightings info would be great or could someone point me in the right direction to a web site with the info (still class myself as a novice)

had to look it up ;) its near Weston Super Mare

I'm afraid I can't help with that area and like you I regard myself as a novice too. Mind you that sometimes makes it all the more exciting when I spot a bird that I have never seen before.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for really. if I am going to a new area I invariably look for estuaries and reservoirs for a wide variety of birds and wildlife and good photo opportunities.

I am also a full time carer so we have much in common !
Good luck and hope you enjoy your visit to Somerset.:t:

Thank you will be there within the next month so hoping for waders and a few gulls but will try and look up some other area's as well.
Will update with a review and photographs of the holiday on here.

Oo eck...! Ayup from a Yorkie....
...................... I was hoping to ask about birding areas around Bath, we're gonna be there next week, but it looks as though this is a dead thread........................??

Oo eck...! Ayup from a Yorkie....
...................... I was hoping to ask about birding areas around Bath, we're gonna be there next week, but it looks as though this is a dead thread........................??

Try Somerset Birding thread. Is Bath part of the Somerset recording area for birds? Roger

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back