• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trefil Access (1 Viewer)

WHIMBREL

A lifelong Naturalist...
The road above the village of Trefil now has signs warning that its an offence to take a motor vehicle onto the 'private' road leading to the quarries.

Some very helpful quarry employees told me that the area has become a magnet for the totally irresponsible 'off-roaders' (on two and four wheels) and also the 'fly-tippers' |=@| so sadly the genuine lovers of the countryside have been punished for the actions of utterly thoughtless morons!!!

The moorland in the area is/was home to some of our most interesting (and threatened) birds; Red Grouse, Ring Ouzel, Curlew, Lapwing and a host of others. You could drive slowly right along the quarry road and pull over to scan the area for rarities such as wintering Hen Harrier or Short-eared Owl, now if you venture beyond the barrier you could be in trouble, the barrier closes the road off completely from 5pm weekdays and for most of the weekend. Of course you can still access the area on foot, but the road was very useful (but really rough) it saved a 3 mile jaunt along its length, probably even more, so I'm afraid its park in the village and leg it - that's if your fit enough! Its a big area to cover casually, you need to spend time there to do it justice.

Before I finish, I'm interested to know exactly where the existing boundary is between the vice-counties of Monmouthshire (Gwent) and Brecknock in this area, I know the border is located somewhere on the moorland above the Trefil area, so perhaps a local birder reading this could be of some help, but please don't confuse the modern county boundaries between Powys and Gwent/Monmouthshire with the old 'vice-county boundaries' that are still used for natural history recording (Watsonian Vice Counties) - Monmouthshire/Gwent is VC35 and Brecknock is VC42, and this is the border I'm interested in...anyone know for certain?

It`s a shame ,but probably necessary to close the road.
We have used this area over the last fifteen years as a training ground for Ten Tors and have seen the increase in offroad activity and the damage it causes.
I am a great believer in the right of everyone to enjoy the countryside in whatever way they chose as long as it does no damage
As for fly tipping,that has always been a problem that will not go away untill the fines outweigh any profit the culprits are likely to make.
I can never understand why people drive miles to a beutifull area just to despoil it.
Our 1964 OS map shows the boundary running just below the Chartist`s cave more or less following the National Park Boundary

Seems to me good and logical, less vehicles = less people = less disturbance. It used to be one of my semi-regular haunts, seem to remember I always walked to it, so tough luck to lazy birders following in my wake :)

"Our 1964 OS map shows the boundary running just below the Chartist`s cave more or less following the National Park Boundary"

I've got old Pathfinder OS maps for most of the surrounding area, the only one missing is for the boundary area!!! I shall find an old OS map (such as yours) that is relevant to the old counties system. Thank you for the response Stranger.

Jos, some of those lazy birders are getting on a bit mate :stuck: |;|
The whole road is constantly used by quarry traffic and local farm vehicles, not much chance of non-disturbance unfortunately, but your sentiments are shared by many other responsible folk. Appreciate your input :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back