• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gwent birding (1 Viewer)

The day after he arrived, a controlled burn at Radipole got out of control and they lost 1/3 of the reeds. Mind you the bearded tits were back the next day, no worries. What an introduction.

i don't do things by halves! Whilst on the subject of bearded tits, i saw at least 30 this morning feet away from the visitor centre window!!!

had a firecrest in my garden last week. Beat that! lol

Its certainly quiet in Gwent, hows Garnlydan Reservoir doing these day?? Cant wait to get back and have a wander around.

Its certainly quiet in Gwent, hows Garnlydan Reservoir doing these day?? Cant wait to get back and have a wander around.

Hello Luke, just fell through the Birdforum door on my way past!
Looks like you are having a good time down there! very quite up here, Redwings around though!
See you for a beer sometime.:)
Gary

Hiya mate,hows the job going?

Garnlydan is pretty much the same.Was up there the other day with Alan and the Lapwings are back.He counted 21 the other evening.We also had a male Ring Ouzel flyover Newtown the other day along with a Red Kite.The feeders down SV are looking quiet as they have done for a while now.The new hide is looking good and its a joy to sit in it comfortably on proper chairs LOL!

I saw that Nick had four Ouzels up at his place at the same time as yours so must have been a bit of passage going on that day. Good to know that theres a few Lapwings back, they were pretty much the only interesting thing i used to see in winter up there unless i had a good Gull in the flock.

Weymouths being pretty good to me, just got back from watching 200+ Wagtails going to roost. It was the roost they featured on Autumn Watch.

i'll be back in gwent in a couple of weeks, so cant wait to catch up with a few old patches and have a beer with a few old mates.

Just thought you would like to know that our jaunt to Conwy included two visits to the RSPB reserve.
Quiet there! Highlights were water rail, sparrowhawk, small flocks of dunlin, teal and shoveler, occasional reed bunting, black tailed godwit and curlew.
Starling numbers were in the hundreds, not thousands. Good evening display though with many fragmented groups heading into the reeds before numbers built up enough to be impressive.

This is a very long shot but we were in your area back at the end of july my little boy lost his hat which was covered in RSPB pin badges we know he had it in Wales as its in the photos we visited lots of sites including Newport wetlands, Symonds Yat, Elan Valley, Gigrin Farm all over the place. if anybody should come across a Saltrock hat with about 20 badges on it PM me.

Thanks (Hoping for a miracle)

A flock of about 200 Thrushes in Trefil village if anyone wants good views of Fieldfare and Redwing from the car.They are in the Hawthorns just past the pub,you cant miss them.For the squeamish be warned though,someone has hung a dead Fox on the gate to the entrance of the village.Nice :(.

Attachments

• IMG_7692.jpg
    IMG_7692.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 52
Nice to know you are enjoying yourself Luke...texted you the other day to see if you thought abt going up north to have a look at that mega rare warbler... :-O

Got a Kestrel hanging out the back of the house...see her quite regularly - Jack came into the room the other day in a tiss...he was bouncing on the trampoline and he said he saw a bird swoop down and take something from the hedge - I said it was most likely the kestrel... a few days later I was in the garden and it came up from behind the hedge - would be nice to see her swoop into the garden.

Still not finished the make over and to be honest don't know when it will be....long story.

The feeder is up and the birds have started to come back now...had a male bully yesterday 1st time in ages. Daily visits of Goldfinch (up to a dozen somedays) and had 7 Greenfinch a lweek or so ago.

Whilst out walking in the Cardi yesterday I came upon a finch flock and I am convinced I saw a Brambling in amongst them!

no i didn't go for that warbler, its a little too far from down here. I would have seriously thought about going if was still living in wales.

November 5th 2009

Walk around the Cardi n surrounding woods this morning.

Cardi - Tufted Duck
Trees n surrounding area - GS Woodie (2) Green Woodie, Finch Flock (abt 25, other than chaff n goldies couldn't see anything esle)
Fieldfare (abt 2 dozen flew over, couldn't see any redwing amongst them)

Garden

Numerous goldies, grenfinch, tits (coal, blue & great) chaffinch, robin, blackbird,

Goldie yesterday on floor feeding looked lethargic, when I approached him got inches from picking him up before he flew off...also saw a very plump Greenfinch today - keeping an eye for any other signs but will be taking the feeders down tomorrow and giving the area a good clean and disinfecting. Hope its not the finch disease :C

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back