• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Equivalents for Birds of North America (BNA) Online? (1 Viewer)

Peter Audrain

Consummate Indoorsman
Are there super-comprehensive scientific databases for parts of the world outside North America (especially, perhaps, for Central and South America) that serve the same reference function as Cornell's Birds of North America (BNA) Online?

https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/home

It's such a treasure and addiction (and you get a discount on the annual subscription if you do a one-month trial first). I only wish it were even more inclusive.

Don’t know for sure but it’s my impression that BNA Online is sui generis. Too bad, since I agree with you that it’s an invaluable resource for North American birds and one that I consult almost daily.

I have 2 criticisms, however—
1. The absence of a “Notes & Queries” section for the communication by readers of observations, thoughts, questions etc. not (yet) in the formal literature.
2. The retention of the cumbersome in-text scientific citation convention which for those of us not steeped in it sometimes renders the text almost unreadable. One of the glories of on-line publications is the availability of clickable superscripts taking the interested reader deeper into the weeds without unduly cluttering up the text—citations, footnotes, appendices, all grist for that particular mill.

This is so right. Cornell could format it any way they like. They could even treat the handling of embedded citations as a changeable preference setting.

But part of the reason it's the way it is, may be that scientists like presenting themselves to themselves as scientific—a weakness for guild traits hardly unique to their profession. It's just that few other professions have so many avid amateur followers.

I still like getting omnibus books like Sibley's behavior and the National Geographic Complete Birds. Part of the pleasure of this hobby, after all, is buying a lot of books. But BNA really does make them all into pretty obvious indulgences. It's just so, so good!

And on a less ambitious level regarding level of knowledge but world wide: our own Opus (see above this page)

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back