Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is All ED Glass the Same?

Old Friday 7th December 2018, 09:27   #26
wllmspd

IFF a set of metrics could be made that would show the different aspects of optical performance. Each aspect would need its own information. Also how many people might understand the subtleties of spot diagrams etc. It would still involve trade offs of dissimilar aspects. Much easier to get people to do side by side comparisons, for which this forum and others are invaluable. At the end it is a personal balance. As they say, nothing can convert a telescope mirror into a worthless piece of junk than an interferometer Measurement e.g. lambda/3.8 vs lambda/4.1, tells you nothing about the roughness which will also have an effect on the view.

PEter
Old Friday 7th December 2018, 16:52   #27
WJC

"Also how many people might understand the subtleties of spot diagrams" ... or OPDs, or ray fans, and Strehl ratios ...

Bill
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 06:38   #28
MUHerd

Thank you all for contributing your expertise and thoughts on this.

I'm gonna try and go with a group in my area so I can learn from them and see how they do things. I would also like to be able to try the binos that would be around their necks and compare them to my Pentax DCF HRII in 10x42.
Most of the binos that you guys talk about being awesome or really great, I have never seen, held or looked thru before. I'm curious as to how much better the birding outing would be with a top notch Bino compared to one on the lower end of the opinion scale. Not a junk bino, but models that still are respected and have great reputations.

Thank you all for taking time to respond and help me learn more and more.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Larry
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: