• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small on baeri (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I am not sure if this entry is completely right:

● Gustave Adolphe Baer (1839-1918) French natural history dealer, collector in Peru, Chile and Brazil (Asthenes, Leucippus, Paroaria, subsp. Patagioenas plumbea, Poospiza, syn. Syndactyla dimidiata, subsp. Thalurania furcata, syn. Upucerthia ruficaudus).

If I read here I feel he was of Suisse origin (born in Aarau).

In this context it would be interesting if someone knows the life dates of...

● Thérèse Baer (fl. 1901) wife of French natural history dealer and collector Gustave A. Baer (Metallura).

Note: As well here French may be replaced by Suisse.

According here (p. 5 of 31) all this obituaries are wrong:

né à Paris, le vingt six Novembre mil huit cent trente huit

As well Gustave Adolphe Baer (1838-1918) birth year need correction.

And regarding his wife...

épouse décédes; époux de Marie Thérèse Aimon

Maybe Laurent can clarify if the first part (épouse décédes) is referring to his parents or to the fact that he was already widower.

Last edited:
It's "époux décédés", and it's indeed about his parents (i.e., it means they were married and both deceased).
I'd tend to read the wife's maiden name as "Simon", rather than "Aimon". (I can't find an upper-case 'A' that looks remotely like that anywhere else in what this officer wrote.)
Although it's not made fully explicit, his wife was presumably still alive -- "veuf de" rather than "époux de Marie Thérèse S/Aimon" would have been expectable if she had been dead; also, the text says he died "au domicile conjugal" (in the marital home), which suggests he was still residing with her.

Last edited:
According to some geni-sites there's a certain Gustave Adolphe Baer who married a Marie Thérèse (née Simon) ... Could she possibly be related to Eugène Simon (1848-1924), who described the Coppery Metaltail/Hummingbird Metallura theresiae SIMON 1902 (here) ... ?

Just a thought.

But beware, Martin! As I remembered it, when I had a quick look at Mr Baer (ages ago), I think there were two guys, two Different Gustave (A.) Baer, in about the same time, in Paris. I´ve also seen this/his Surname written Baër alt. Bär.

Good luck finding Mr & Mrs Baer!

Björn
--

Last edited:
But beware, Martin! As I remembered it, when I had a quick look at Mr Baer (ages ago), I think there were two guys, two Different Gustave (A.) Baer, in about the same time, in Paris. I´ve also seen this/his Surname written Baër alt. Bär.
Namesakes are of course always a possibility, but the two obituaries Martin linked in posts #1 and #2 indicate a death in Paris on 13 Jan 1918, which matches the death record of the État Civil in post #3. It would seem quite unlikely that two Gustave A. Baer died on the same day in Paris.
The information in the two obituaries appears to have the same origin (a communication at a meeting of the Société Entomologique de France on 23 Jan 1918); they do not represent independent sources.

Laurent, doesn´t the Death Record in #3 end with something ..."Chevalier de la Legion d'honneur", indicating (if so) that he was all French (as Foreigners are excluded from the Legion), and that there might, could, be even more info in the Leonore Database.

For you French readers that is. ;)

Laurent, doesn´t the Death Record in #3 end with something ..."Chevalier de la Legion d'honneur"
It does, but the knight in question was Armand Auguste Chédeville, the deputy-mayor who wrote the death record. Not the deceased.

Good luck finding Mr & Mrs Baer!

I think Mr Baer is quiet simple French and not Suisse. Maybe his ancestry was from Switzerland (but I have no evidence). So

Gustave Adolphe Baer b. 26. November 1838 in Paris, d. 13 January 1918 in Paris

I agree her maiden name is Simon and not Aimon. And there is in fact a chance that she has a relationship to Eugène Louis Simon (1848 -1924). Maybe the sister of the author?

I agree her maiden name is Simon and not Aimon. And there is in fact a chance that she has a relationship to Eugène Louis Simon (1848 -1924). Maybe the sister of the author?

If Baer's wife had been a relative of that Simon, it seems unlikely that the latter would have called the former simply "notre ami." I suspect that the relationship between the two men was founded not in marriage but in a shared interest in hummingbird skins.

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/81337#page/242/mode/1up

Baer: In a 2014 Dissertation from Brazil it states "As a dealer of Natural History products, he was successor of the Parisian shop of Henri Guyon". Guyon has an advertisement on page 16 of
https://books.google.com/books?id=w...A0QAQ#v=onepage&q='Henri Guyon" Paris&f=false .
This dissertation also says Baer was born in Switzerland.
Dissertation; http://docplayer.com.br/63553091-Colecoes-de-historia-natural-no-museu-paulista.html .

If you read post # 2 the dissertation is simply wrong.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back