• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the color of KOWA 883 neutral? (1 Viewer)

Indiana J

I am looking for my first spotting scope. All reviews on Kowa 883 I have seen are very positive. But I have a concern of the image color. I have a pair of Kowa 8.5x44 Genesis Prominar binoculars. The cleanness (almost mo CA) and sharpness of the image are very impressive, but the greenish color cast is very annoying to me. I prefer the neutral color of Leica Ultravid, but also feel that the faint yellow color cast of Zeiss FL is pleasing.

It is mentioned in some reviews that the image color of Kowa 883 is neutral. Can users of Kowa 883 confirm this? Thanks!

Last edited:
It seems so to me. Though I would imagine this is something of a subjective judgment. Incidentally, I do not like the yellowish cast of the big Zeiss Diascope. That is one of the reasons I paid more for the Kowa. In any event, trying one out yourself, if possible, is obviously the best strategy.

Jim

Natural color is one of the attributes I like about this spotting telescope. My only complaint is it does not seem well corrected for spherical abberation, but I am told this is normal for all the modern large aperture short-bodied scopes currently on the market.

Norman Posgate
Massachusetts, USA

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back