• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The New Birds of Kazakhstan (1 Viewer)

MJB

I note from the website www.birdsofkazakhstan.com that The New Birds of Kazakhstan by Arend Wassink is due out in November 2015 at 49.50 euros.

However, it seems that this website is otherwise shut down or moribund, which prevents access to its customary updates of bird observations and images from that country. I trust this is only a temporary state of affairs....:-C
MJB

Mike, when I saw the title, I took it as The New Birds of Kazakhstan – ie, presumably covering only species recently new to Kazakhstan. But hopefully it's actually a new edition of The Birds of Kazakhstan (Wassink & Oreel 2007). ;)

Mike, when I saw the title, I took it as The New Birds of Kazakhstan – ie, presumably covering only species recently new to Kazakhstan. But hopefully it's actually a new edition of The Birds of Kazakhstan (Wassink & Oreel 2007). ;)

From the description shown in the link, it is clear that this will be a new edition of the full book. :t:

I think Robert's right. Arend's website (a very useful resource!) was essentially being maintained as a continuously updated version of the 2007 book (incorporating additional data including the updates regularly published in Dutch Birding, much-improved maps, etc). He's presumably now closed the website because there would otherwise be little incentive for anyone to purchase the forthcoming second edition! Hopefully the website will be restored after a reasonable interval, eg, two years after publication...?

It will be indeed The new Avifauna of Kazakhstan, that includes the new species that were added since Wassink & Oreel (2007) appeared but also all other information as all other species. This gathered by own research as by a very intensive literature research. I saw some proofs and the new book looks stunning! And Richard is right for the reasons why Arend closed it down.

My review is on the OSME website: see www.osme.org/reviews.
MJB

Thanks Mike, great review. I will now most likely have to buy this book. Particularly since I had the good fortune to be on a Kazakhstan bird tour with Arend a few years ago. The only point against buying it is that I'm trying to cut down on my acquisitions. :eek!:

The only point against buying it is that I'm trying to cut down on my acquisitions. :eek!:

Me too, no space and I calculated that if I'd spent the money on bird trips that I have on books, I could probably be in the top 100 listers in the World!

Andy

Me too, no space and I calculated that if I'd spent the money on bird trips that I have on books, I could probably be in the top 100 listers in the World!

Andy

I'm too much of a book lover to do such a calculation, but I'm trying to compromise to find "room" for both. Plus, I have a number of other hobbies that need time and money as well. :-O
In fact, I don't even know my species number; might change that once the second volume of the HBW checklist is out. But I'm less of a lister than trying to see individual species that fascinate me. Some fine ones were added in Madagascar late last year. But one of the finest ones - for me - was the non endemic Crab Plover. :eat:

Anyway, my Kazakhstan book is on the way now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back