• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron ES80 v4, what eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

I can do computers....
but...
I'm a bit thick about all this optical equipment, so could someone help me with which eyepiece out of the 4 recommended on the Opticron web site would be the best one to have and (if you have time!) why?

It's for the Opticron ES80 v4 scope I'm probably going to buy, my first scope, and I have a wildlife/birding holiday coming up.

Thank you.

I put a reply to our post in the binoculars forum so I'll repeat that here for you:

The recommended eyepieces for the ES 80 would be either the 40862 HDF T zoom or 40936 SDL v2 zoom.

Of the two, the SDL offers a wider field of view at some magnifications, is sharper and has better contrast and is fully waterproof (the HDF T is rainshower proof but not fully sealed like the SDL).

A fixed magnification eyepiece will tend to deliver a brighter and wider view than a zoom at the same magnification.

The advantage of a zoom is that you can use low magnification to scan for your target bird and then crank up the zoom to see more detail.

Hope that helps.

Best thing to do is to try the scope before you buy. Depending on where in Wiltshire you are, a trip to Lakeside Optics at Chew Valley Lakes would be worth your while:

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/LakesideOptics/

Cheers, Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back