• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Ferdy Timmerman

Hi everyone, the photographs were taken around August 15th, this year, in the vicinity of Lake Arenal, northwest Costa Rica. I determined every bird I saw / photographed, using 'Birds of Mexico and Central America', by Ber van Perlo, but this one's got me puzzling. The only bird in the book that looks similar to my bird is an immature peregrine falcon ('tundrius-race'), but that one has a grey beak, while my bird has a yellow one. I can't find more picture's of the mentioned species, so I'm a bit stuck... Can anyone help me?
Thanks!

Attachments

• unknown1xm3.jpg
    unknown1xm3.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 136
  • unknown2lw0.jpg
    unknown2lw0.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 118
Hi again Ferdy. I hope you don't mind but I lightened them up a bit so hopefully, it will make identification a bit easier.

Attachments

• unknown1xm3.jpg
    unknown1xm3.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 109
  • unknown2lw0.jpg
    unknown2lw0.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 105
Still kinda looks like a Swainsons, the heavy brow with a dark eye, face streaking. The beak looks a little large for a Swainsons at least as compared to my books. I hope someone else comes along who might know for sure.

This bird really goes through some plumage changes as he matures. Below are some recent photos I took of immature Gray (-lined) Hawk and then a photo of an adult.

Attachments

• Gray Hawk imm 304e.jpg
    Gray Hawk imm 304e.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Gray Hawk imm 305e.jpg
    Gray Hawk imm 305e.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Gray-lined Hawk 197e.jpg
    Gray-lined Hawk 197e.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 97
This bird really goes through some plumage changes as he matures. Below are some recent photos I took of immature Gray (-lined) Hawk and then a photo of an adult.

Careful; juv's of the nominate (as on your nice photos) look rather different than juv's from ssp. plagiatus (as on the other photos in this thread). Many are not aware of this difference, and it commonly leads to confusion. For example, the juvenile illustrated in "Birds of South America - Non-Passerines" most resemble plagiatus despite the fact that the nominate group is the only one that conclusively has been recorded in South America (yes, I know that Hellmayr & Conover, 1949, indicated that plagiatus might reach NW South America, but that is, at best, highly questionable).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back