• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Picked up a pair of Nikon EDG 2 7x42's on Ebay for $900.00. (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I wanted to try a 7x42 alpha. Picked up pair of like new Nikon EDG 2 7x42's on Ebay for $900.00. I threw in a bid and ended up getting them. I have never had an alpha 7x42 and they are pretty impressive. I have been comparing them to my SV FP 8.5x42's. The focuser on the EDG has to be one of the best out there. It is really smooth. The EDG focuser beats the SV easily. The diopter is similar in operation to the SV and works very well. Build quality is very good and the armor has a very nice luxurious quality feel to it. Eye cups work smoothly and positively with four indents and they have nice tethered objective covers and the rainguard fit's good without being too tight. The strap is adjustable with a slide buckle and works very well and the case is well made and not too large and fit's the binoculars well. They are actually smaller than the SV's and feel good in the hand because you don't feel the strap lugs because they are extended out of the way of your grip. Good idea! They are a tad better controlling CA and glare than the SV. They must be baffled very well and they are well blackened inside. The easy steady view of the 7x42 is very nice and the greater DOF is appreciated. The view seems very spacious because of the lower 7x magnification. Also, the EDG's are brutally sharp on-axis but a tad softer at the edges than the SV but sharper than say the Zeiss SF at the edge. No RB that I notice but I am not sensitive to it. The colors are more saturated than the SV and are warmer and they have a very comfortable natural view. They are definitely an alpha level binocular and will compete with the best and if you can get them for a good price they are a bargain. I am not saying they are better than the SV's or vice versa just different. All the alpha binocular's are awesome and none are perfect but each has it's strong points and it just depends on what you like or prefer.

Attachments

• PA090001.JPG
    PA090001.JPG
    676.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
I have the EDGs in 8 and 10X42, and they are a great glass, so I would suspect that the 7X42 would be as well.
Nice score.

Andy W.

The 7x42 EDG is marvellous. I have 7x42 SLCs & FLs, had Meostars in the past.
The EDG are my favourite 7x42s. Of those mentioned the EDGs are the ones that I am least aware of when looking through them.

The 7x42 EDG is marvellous. I have 7x42 SLCs & FLs, had Meostars in the past.
The EDG are my favourite 7x42s. Of those mentioned the EDGs are the ones that I am least aware of when looking through them.
You must like 7x! That is saying a lot for the EDG's because your other binoculars are all fine instruments. The DOF is really nice. It makes it easy to see things behind and in front of the bird you are looking at. You can look at three different birds at once if they are somewhat lined up!

I love 7x. I do use 8x32s but only because I can’t find top of the range 7x30/32/35s. For me the greater dof, steadier view, larger exit pupil of 7x42s are big pluses. Also less tiring on the eyes when using all day.

I have more 7x42s than I can use but I daren’t sell any coz I’ll never replace them. Unfortunately they’re a dying breeed. Shame.

I like it! That's a heck of a deal! You need a nice 7X binocular! ;)

I sure wouldn't mind having one myself... I probably wouldn't use it more than the UVHD+ 7X42, even though optically the EDG is probably better....

I like it! That's a heck of a deal! You need a nice 7X binocular! ;)

I sure wouldn't mind having one myself... I probably wouldn't use it more than the UVHD+ 7X42, even though optically the EDG is probably better....
Chuck. If your 1A is the SV 8x32 you like flat fields and sharp edges so I think you would like the EDG 7x42 more than your UVHD+'s. 7x doesn't quite have the reach as 8x but I don't think you miss out on too much detail and there are the advantages of better DOF, bigger exit pupil and they are easier to hold steady. It is just tradeoff's.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back