Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Common Diver? - Norway

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 12:02   #51
Fat Paul Scholes
My real name is Mark Lewis

 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
That's actually not true, many have poor and some non existent English. Get away from the main Cities and you'll have language issues.

Don't turn this in to another 'how xenophobic the English are', it's a known fact that the Fremch, resent having to speak ANY other language, especially when that language is English.

The French PM has not made a single address in English during his visit to the UK AFAIK, even though he probably has good English. I won't say anymore than this, I know which way it will be taken.


A
What do I know? I only visited France 2 or 3 times a year for the last 15 years, including cities, and rural areas. People (especially younger people) have always been very happy to speak to me in English - especially after hearing how bad my French is...

I'm not claiming everyone is fluent - but the idea that the French resent speaking English is utter crap. They're surrounded by tv, films and particularly music in English.

The French person sitting next to me suggests that if the French resent speaking English at all, it's only in the context of english speakers not making any effort at all and expecting everyone else to do the heavy lifting for them.

I suggest that if you don't want this to turn into a thread about xenophobia, stop making incorrect, disparaging, sweeping statements about a nation of people...
__________________
My website: https://lewissparky.wixsite.com/website
Fat Paul Scholes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 12:24   #52
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 11,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Paul Scholes View Post
What do I know? I only visited France 2 or 3 times a year for the last 15 years, including cities, and rural areas. People (especially younger people) have always been very happy to speak to me in English - especially after hearing how bad my French is...

I'm not claiming everyone is fluent - but the idea that the French resent speaking English is utter crap. They're surrounded by tv, films and particularly music in English.

The French person sitting next to me suggests that if the French resent speaking English at all, it's only in the context of english speakers not making any effort at all and expecting everyone else to do the heavy lifting for them.

I suggest that if you don't want this to turn into a thread about xenophobia, stop making incorrect, disparaging, sweeping statements about a nation of people...

Just like the one you made you mean, 'For a bunch of people who don't like learning English, they're pretty good at it'.

Forgive that my experience has been the opposite of yours. On a flight in Asia that had to be turned around for tech issues, none of the large number of French on board, understood the announcement. The result being that on landing, they thought they were in Cambodia, they were actually back in KL.

Many, many times, even in Paris, I've tried to talk to people and it seemed they had no English at all, that's not an opinion, that is my experience.

That's enough of this nonsense

Last edited by andyadcock : Sunday 21st January 2018 at 12:31.
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 12:33   #53
Fat Paul Scholes
My real name is Mark Lewis

 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 2,445
Andy - I was ridiculing your statement, not making any sort of comment about the French, other than that they’re quite good at speaking English.

Good to see you defending your position from a pretty solid evidence base....

And yes, enough of this nonsense.
__________________
My website: https://lewissparky.wixsite.com/website
Fat Paul Scholes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 13:06   #54
Birdbrain22
Registered User
 
Birdbrain22's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 889
Thanks to Maudoc and Nutcracker for the advise on the field guide... I greatly appreciate that recommendation, I will be ordering that as I definitely will need it.

Just to clarify though, I was asking about personal guide to show a visiting foreign birder the hotspots while in France. I have checked some websites, but they all seem to be only offering longer week or 10 day tours. Any advice in this regard?
__________________
Life list:618-Latest:Kirtland's Warbler,Bearded Vulture, Egyptian Vulture,Euro Dipper,Euro Roller,Euro Bee-eater, Greater Flamingo,Collared Pratincole,Little Bustard,Euro Stone Curlew,Bonelli's Eagle,Short-toed Eagle,Griffon,Black Vulture,Red-legged Partridge,Quail,Bearded Reedling,Long-tailed Tit
Birdbrain22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 13:13   #55
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 11,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain22 View Post
Thanks to Maudoc and Nutcracker for the advise on the field guide... I greatly appreciate that recommendation, I will be ordering that as I definitely will need it.

Just to clarify though, I was asking about personal guide to show a visiting foreign birder the hotspots while in France. I have checked some websites, but they all seem to be only offering longer week or 10 day tours. Any advice in this regard?
I can't find it now but isn't there a forum on here somewhere with contacts for local, non preffesional birders who like to take people out?


A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 13:21   #56
dragnil
Registered User
 
dragnil's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lincs UK
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain22 View Post
Thanks to Maudoc and Nutcracker for the advise on the field guide... I greatly appreciate that recommendation, I will be ordering that as I definitely will need it.

Just to clarify though, I was asking about personal guide to show a visiting foreign birder the hotspots while in France. I have checked some websites, but they all seem to be only offering longer week or 10 day tours. Any advice in this regard?
Have you looked at birdingpal?
www.birdingpal.com
__________________
Conservation: www.lipu-uk.org
Fun: www.dragnil.co.uk
dragnil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 22:28   #57
Birdbrain22
Registered User
 
Birdbrain22's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnil View Post
Have you looked at birdingpal?
www.birdingpal.com
Thank you very much for this info. Having never needed to use something like this, I was unaware of it. I will check it out.
__________________
Life list:618-Latest:Kirtland's Warbler,Bearded Vulture, Egyptian Vulture,Euro Dipper,Euro Roller,Euro Bee-eater, Greater Flamingo,Collared Pratincole,Little Bustard,Euro Stone Curlew,Bonelli's Eagle,Short-toed Eagle,Griffon,Black Vulture,Red-legged Partridge,Quail,Bearded Reedling,Long-tailed Tit
Birdbrain22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st January 2018, 22:30   #58
Birdbrain22
Registered User
 
Birdbrain22's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I can't find it now but isn't there a forum on here somewhere with contacts for local, non preffesional birders who like to take people out?


A
I know there is a forum where folks look for others to share a trip and costs. Maybe if I look deeper into that, I can find something. Thanks Andy.
__________________
Life list:618-Latest:Kirtland's Warbler,Bearded Vulture, Egyptian Vulture,Euro Dipper,Euro Roller,Euro Bee-eater, Greater Flamingo,Collared Pratincole,Little Bustard,Euro Stone Curlew,Bonelli's Eagle,Short-toed Eagle,Griffon,Black Vulture,Red-legged Partridge,Quail,Bearded Reedling,Long-tailed Tit
Birdbrain22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tern in Norway: Artic or Common? roarjo Bird Identification Q&A 3 Sunday 2nd July 2017 17:05
Common Chiffchaff? S. Norway, apr 10 hegrehaud Bird Identification Q&A 2 Sunday 10th April 2016 05:17
Diver, Norway johnny_j Bird Identification Q&A 19 Sunday 28th October 2007 18:11
Norway pls confirm Common Gylls geopap Bird Identification Q&A 3 Sunday 26th August 2007 09:32



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.14287400 seconds with 20 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:49.