Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cabela's Krotos Dual HD 10x42

Old Saturday 4th August 2018, 23:59   #1
cycleguy

Cabela's Krotos Dual HD 10x42

I'm looking thru a Cabela's Optics catalog that arrived in my box today and noticed they have another house brand model referred to as the Krotos, and listed as a new item.

It is positioned between their top end (Instinct Euro HD) and low end (Intensity HD) binoculars and is only available in 10x42 and retails for $499.99.

No specs are provided, don't know why they do this; but marketing is pumping "dual extra-low-dispersion (ED) glass lenses".

I'm also seeing a Zeiss Victory Rangefinding Binocular for $3,299.99 (listed as a new item) which I wasn't aware of but appears to have been available well before now.

If I had $3,299.99 burning a hole in my pocket plus the extra needed for taxes, I'd probably get one!!!

CG
Old Sunday 5th August 2018, 01:56   #2
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
" ... which I wasn't aware of but appears to have been available well before now."

CG
Silly rabbit, Trix are for .... Oops! Wrong one.

Optical engineers and marketing people don't talk.

Bill
Old Saturday 11th August 2018, 20:55   #3
Upland

My initial guess would be that they are some sort of variation of Leupold. In the past many of the Cabela’s mid grade binoculars are clones of Leupolds made in the same factory in Japan. They usually are priced a little less and when on sale can be extremely good buys. My Cabela’s 8x32s are the same as Leupold Mojave and I bought them on closeout for less than $100. The design of the Krotos looks similar to the Leupold Pro Guide with the open bridge and diopter control on the focus wheel. The eye cups are different though and I don’t think the Leupolds have a magnesium body. If they are Japanese they should be very similar to the Leupolds. If they’re Chinese I’m not sure.
Old Sunday 12th August 2018, 03:42   #4
justabirdwatcher

What's with the enormous eyecups on the newer Leupolds and Cabelas' bins? I mean, who do they think these eyecups fit?
Old Sunday 12th August 2018, 13:45   #5
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabirdwatcher View Post
What's with the enormous eyecups on the newer Leupolds and Cabelas' bins? I mean, who do they think these eyecups fit?

They work well for people who brace the eye cups up against their eye brows or brow ridges while using the binocular.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 12th August 2018, 14:27   #6
cycleguy

Lugs appear to be nearer the end of the tube than most..??

CG
Old Wednesday 15th August 2018, 02:00   #7
cycleguy

Was at Cabela's over the weekend picking up some supplies for the upcoming seasons. Stopped by the binocular display case but this binocular wasn't on display. I did look at some of the Leupold and noticed the lug to be similarly located near the end of the barrel. Upland probably has it correct.

CG
Old Monday 20th August 2018, 21:09   #8
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
They work well for people who brace the eye cups up against their eye brows or brow ridges while using the binocular.

Bob
Glad to hear they work for someone. I have a large nose bridge and these oversized eye cups are just the worst IMO.
Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 00:06   #9
ceasar

Quote:
Glad to hear they work for someone. I have a large nose bridge and these oversized eye cups are just the worst IMO.
Very large eye cups probably would bother people who have a narrow IPD and a large nose bridge.

Old Thursday 23rd August 2018, 02:41   #10
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Very large eye cups probably would bother people who have a narrow IPD and a large nose bridge.
I have a wide IPD and very large nose bridge. And fairly deep set eyes. yea, I can't stand larger eye cups. I'm making do with the binocs I have now because they were affordable and the optics are superb. Only thing I would change are the large eye cups.
Old Thursday 23rd August 2018, 04:35   #11
ceasar

Quote:
I have a wide IPD and very large nose bridge. And fairly deep set eyes. yea, I can't stand larger eye cups. I'm making do with the binocs I have now because they were affordable and the optics are superb. Only thing I would change are the large eye cups.

I have a relatively wide IPD, (68/69mm); a high bridged long thin nose and deep set eyes.

I dislike small eye cups. I prefer large eye cups because I can brace them more easily against my brows.

I get blackouts when I put the eye cups back into my eye sockets; however when I use my new Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B I can use it with the eye cups braced up against my eye brows and also placed back in my eye sockets. This binocular is supposed to have newly designed eye pieces which make this possible. I also have a lower priced Pentax 9x32 which is a clone of the Sightron 8x32 that I can use in the same manner.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Thursday 23rd August 2018 at 05:05.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: