• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Explorer WA (1 Viewer)

Kauaihiker

Hello,
I'm thinking about ordering a pair of 8x42 Opticron Explorer WA bins after reading so many good things from experts overseas, especially from U.K. It maybe a risk without trying them first ( I do have a 30 day return ). I've tried Nikon Monarch 5, Vortex Diamondbacks, and Zeiss Terra's. Surprisingly, I liked Zeiss the least!, Nikons were brighter and sharp, the Vortex seemed most user friendly to me. Does anyone know hoe well the Opticrons would measure up? Thanks

It maybe a risk without trying them first

Welcome to the Bino-Forum !

Be sure to check how much eye relief you require as the ER on these at 17mm is comparatively short ; they will afford you a much wider FOV than the Nikon Monarch 5 ED but that view will be duller and the bins a good deal heavier, and for a higher price. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the reply! I'm new with sport optics but I've been a photographer nearly all my life so I'm familiar with C.A and other lens problems and to me it seemed the Zeiss suffered more c.a and edge blurry ness ( at least the pair I tried) it seems this 8x42 is over saturated with a dizzying selection to choose from!

How do those Explorer binoculars compare to the Discovery WP PC? They seem quite similar spec wise? After a new pair of bins and I think it's between those two for our budget.we both wear glasses so eye relief is important.many thanks for any advice

Just looking at the specs reveals a few small but telling differences :

Explorer (the new spec., from 2012) : FMC + PC., 2m close focus, ER 17mm, weight 672g, 10 year warranty, iro £190.00

Discovery : FC + PC., 1.5m close focus, ER 22mm, weight 703g, 5 year warranty, iro £150.00

The Explorer has the better coatings, the lighter weight and the longer warranty.

The Discovery has a marginally closer focus, offers longer ER and is noticeably cheaper (Grahams, all specs).

For the price of an Explorer you could also currently buy two pairs of Nikon Prostaff 7 8x42s, if the close focus is not a particular consideration (4m for these) and you can accept the standard Nikon fov (110m at a grand), eye relief for glasses wearers is 19mm, and they are respectably sharp.

Good luck with your choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back