• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit?, Tenerife, May '13 (1 Viewer)

mathare

The missus was showing her parents some of our holiday photos last night and the Tenerife set came up. A couple of times I heard her say "No, I don't know what that one is" and had a feeling I would be posting in here again!

I dug the field guides out last night and had a root around and I think the first image is a pipit (Tree Pipit?). But I'm not sure the second bird is the same species. It seems to lack the lighter flash just below the cheek but I'm not sure if that's just the angle of the photo obscuring that area of the plumage.

As always, any ID clues anyone can provide would be most welcome :t:
Mat

Attachments

• P1060301.jpg
    P1060301.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 178
  • P1060293.jpg
    P1060293.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 158
Hi Mat,

yes, it's a Pipit. The prominent supercilium doesn't fit to Tree Pipit.

I think it's a Berthelot's Pipit, but I'm not sure at all because I haven't been to the Canary Islands before.

Eckart

Agree with Berthelot's. The very fine bill, 'hollow centred' ear coverts and rather 'cute' expression rule out Tree, which would be rare in the Canaries.

Coo, thanks everyone. That's very much a life tick then.

I only checked the Opus after posting (still not learned) to see that Tree Pipit wasn't on the checklist for Tenerife. Had I known that in advance I wouldn't have guessed at Tree.

Are the two images the same species or not though?

Tree Pipit is a common migrant on the Canaries and Meadow Pipit is a fairly common winter visitor.

However, the photos were taken in May.

Eckart

Tree Pipit is a common migrant on the Canaries and Meadow Pipit is a fairly common winter visitor.

However, the photos were taken in May.

Eckart

Agreed. I had plenty of Tree Pipits moving through Lanzarote during the last week of April, including a group of six on the outskirts of Playa Blanca. I guess they are probably more numerous passage migrants on Lanzarote and Fuerteventura than on the more westerly islands.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back