Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular Recommendations

Old Friday 6th July 2018, 08:23   #51
fazalmajid

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCuria View Post
I dont have any issues with the SF when panning, diddnt notice any problems with the 8x42SLC either. I think you are referring to rolling ball? I cant detect any at all with the SF to be honest.
It’s deliberately under-corrected for flatness of field to reduce rolling ball. There’s a very interesting interview by Troubador on the genesis of the SF:
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...95&postcount=4

I suspect Konrad Seil’s passing is why we still haven’t seen a 8x32 SF
Old Friday 6th July 2018, 15:06   #52
aCuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmajid View Post
Itís deliberately under-corrected for flatness of field to reduce rolling ball. Thereís a very interesting interview by Troubador on the genesis of the SF:
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...95&postcount=4

I suspect Konrad Seilís passing is why we still havenít seen a 8x32 SF
Wow I never knew the same guy played such a big part in designing both the EL series and the 8x42 SF! You are right, its a very interesting interview
Old Saturday 7th July 2018, 00:55   #53
Bataleon

If you don't want to spend a ton but want a lot of bang for your buck, Nikon or Vortex are the way to go. Great glass and build quality and they run the gamut from budget to high end. If I'm just screwing around in the back yard or on a day trip, I grab my Nikon Action Extreme 7x35s or Vortex Raptor 8.5x32s... Both fantastic binos for a sub-$100 price point.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old Saturday 7th July 2018, 14:08   #54
aCuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bataleon View Post
If you don't want to spend a ton but want a lot of bang for your buck, Nikon or Vortex are the way to go. Great glass and build quality and they run the gamut from budget to high end. If I'm just screwing around in the back yard or on a day trip, I grab my Nikon Action Extreme 7x35s or Vortex Raptor 8.5x32s... Both fantastic binos for a sub-$100 price point.

I did try the Vortex Raptor 8.5x32, its not really suitable for use when using glasses unfortunately.
Old Saturday 7th July 2018, 15:44   #55
Bataleon

Quote:
I did try the Vortex Raptor 8.5x32, its not really suitable for use when using glasses unfortunately.
Check out the Nikons I mentioned. The eyepieces on the action extremes are massive. I usually wear contacts, but have no issues with my glasses either.

Old Monday 9th July 2018, 02:50   #56
aCuria

I'm starting to wonder if I would need 2 bins for a safari trip, or if its fine to share 1 bin and a camera with a long lens. Total luggage weight is limited to 20kg / person (40kg)
Old Monday 9th July 2018, 08:06   #57
Gijs van Ginkel

aCuria, post 56,
On my safari trips one good binocular was sufficient in practically all circumstances, if you find it necessary: take a doubler or tripler with you, much smaller and much less weight.I did that many times but I hardly had to use it, since the binocular was sufficient.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Monday 9th July 2018, 17:39   #58
aCuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
aCuria, post 56,
On my safari trips one good binocular was sufficient in practically all circumstances, if you find it necessary: take a doubler or tripler with you, much smaller and much less weight.I did that many times but I hardly had to use it, since the binocular was sufficient.
Gijs van Ginkel
Hi Gijs van Ginkel, was this one good binocular shared among 2 people?
Old Monday 9th July 2018, 22:04   #59
jring

Hi aCuria,

congratulations to an alpha bin as first pair - that's the cheap way to get the best view... takes others many years, pairs and a lot more money to get there ;-)

Regarding new glasses - if the view was better without but you couldn't focus to infinity, getting a new pair seems a good idea, preferably before the vacation.

As I have written earlier in this thread, sharing bins is not really practical - if you can agree with your partner that one gets to use the bins for a few hours while the other uses the telephoto lens on the camera, switching every few hours or day, that's fine.

Just practice the setup of IPD and diopter a bit so you can do it quickly when switching - the SF diopter also has a scale so you can set rough value there and hope it fits...

Joachim
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 07:08   #60
aCuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Hi aCuria,

congratulations to an alpha bin as first pair - that's the cheap way to get the best view... takes others many years, pairs and a lot more money to get there ;-)

Regarding new glasses - if the view was better without but you couldn't focus to infinity, getting a new pair seems a good idea, preferably before the vacation.

As I have written earlier in this thread, sharing bins is not really practical - if you can agree with your partner that one gets to use the bins for a few hours while the other uses the telephoto lens on the camera, switching every few hours or day, that's fine.

Just practice the setup of IPD and diopter a bit so you can do it quickly when switching - the SF diopter also has a scale so you can set rough value there and hope it fits...

Joachim
I don't think there will be any diopter switching involved, just the ipd (because glasses)
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 13:46   #61
Gijs van Ginkel

acuria, post 58,
Yes the 8x32 or 7x42 (depended on the safari trip) was shared with two people. On one safari trip I took an 8x56, also nice but a little heavy, and that was shared at a waterhole in twilight with quite a few people, since so many animals came for a drink.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Wednesday 11th July 2018, 13:54   #62
aCuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Hi aCuria,

<snip>

Thanks Joachim,

I tend to suffer from "upgradeitis"... Its probably "safer" in the long run this way haha

im wondering what makes the most sense for a 2nd bin... probably something not to expensive (though ignoring cost the zeiss pocket or 8x30cl probably makes the most sense)
Old Friday 13th July 2018, 04:30   #63
fazalmajid

Quote:
im wondering what makes the most sense for a 2nd bin... probably something not to expensive (though ignoring cost the zeiss pocket or 8x30cl probably makes the most sense)
Pocket everyday-carry binoculars (mine are now the Zeiss 8x25, for others those might be the Leica Ultravid 8x20 or even a monocular)

Stabilized binoculars

Large aperture astronomy binoculars

Spotting scopes
Old Monday 6th August 2018, 23:04   #64
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6 View Post
fazalmajid, it's interesting that Selfridges sounds a good place to try them out.
I'm very late to this one - my apologies - but I live not far from Selfridges and although it has a decent selection the basement of Selfridges (if the optics section is still there) is just about the worst place to try optics I have ever been. Distances are much shorter than out in the field, and the place is filled with mirrors and bright unnatural light - both unpleasant to look through and completely unlike field conditions.

They should open up a space on the roof to let prospective buyers look out over the city rooftops in typical English light (often dreary, but thanks to the heatwave it has been brilliantly bright for over two months!) and point their binoculars at fast-moving targets like the goldfinches and rose-ringed parakeets that often fly by.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: