• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quality time with my EII 8x30s... (1 Viewer)

Hello Tringa45!
I am very sorry to hear this! They appeared perfectly fine to me when I looked them over. I did not notice any problem when I looked through them either. I must have missed these damages. Sorry!
How big were these dents? I wonder how I could have missed it. But I was on the way to airport.
I am glad to hear that your trip was not totally invain. Indeed I found Bonn downtown to be quite pretty and with many good restaurants.

No problem. I didn't examine the damage that closely after discovering it but the worse of the two dents extended acros the width of the objective surround (4 mm?) and was about 1 mm deep.
I rather like Bonn too and was a little disappointed when it was demoted from capital to federal city as that for me signalled the end of Federal German modesty. Must admit though that Berlin is an impressive city and that Bonn in comparison is just "A Small Town in Germany" as in the novel.

John

Mine unfortunately had a rattling noise that I deliberately chose to overlook. I noticed from time to time that the diopter setting needed to be changed more often than feasible. After unscrewing the objective ring, I could tell that the prisms were not loose. But the objective cell itself had that rattle. There's an inner ring that holds the lens, and it had somehow become loose. Tightening it stopped the noise. A very thorough inspection revealed a slight vertical miscollimation. Another ring (or the lens itself, don't remember) could be turned if the tensioning ring was released, and this helped. After adjusting this second ring and tightening the first, the EII was exactly as good as new with perfect collimation, rock steady diopter function and absence of any noise.

//L

Superb description of the kestrel Mando, thank you. Sometimes everything all just falls into place for that perfect unforgettable view. A lot of the views I get are distant little silhouettes against the sky, and I can relate to just how special it is when a wild bird is close enough that you're able to see all those delicate little details. As an aside, how wonderful has the weather been all summer long? Just perfect for using classic (in my case single-coated!), non-waterproof, porros.

You (and looksharp) are doubly lucky that you can get the full field of view of your E II with glasses - I also wear rimless glasses but cannot. They (or at least the 100th Anniversary pair I tried) won't focus beyond infinity enough for me to use them without, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back