• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 7 8x42s, a love story... (1 Viewer)

quincy88

Hi everybody,
I have owned and carried monarch 7 8x42s for four and a half years. I think they are wonderful. Bright, clear, good color, compact, comfortable... they have showed me many beautiful things in their service. I identified my first bird with these baby’s (harlequin), I identified my first 200 birds with these compact and lightweight windows to the world. First pair of binoculars I owned and I couldn’t be more happy. They made an optics nerd out of me (nothing compared to the nerdiness and passion on these forums, but absolutely made me say ‘thank you Galileo, you genius.’) .
I carried them most of that time. I carry them in my hand, no strap, no lens covers, just binoculars in my hand, always. I beat the crap out of them. I broke an eye cup, I broke the housing near one of the objectives, I ripped off the armor, both the badges were lost years ago. I finally sent them in. Got a brand new pair in the mail today (thank you Nikon!).
I tried to upgrade them. I bought 10x42 SLCs - they were so good and genuinely improved my reach, but it happened right at the time that the field pro package came out, so shortly after I was able to trade in my SLCs for previous generation 8.5x42 ELs at no additional cost. ELs were too big. I always found them cumbersome. Also, I hated the flat field. Why do 3 dimensional objects appear as a poster on the wall? I returned them. Next came the 10x42 conquests. They were lovely and sharp and compact, but ultimately not better enough to justify the price compared to my Nikons. My search for the perfect view went cold and I didn’t bother to try again to replace my monarchs until recently.
I got the ultravid 7x42s about 3 months ago. Simply beautiful. Bright, punchy colors, sharp, compact, and the last of their kind. I kept them. They are so much more brilliant and sparkling than the monarchs. They did betray their own weakness the other day though. I was watching ravens circle above a building in a completely grey, but bright sky. Those poor ravens were encased in a green fog of chromatic aberration. Their speed still makes up for the chromatic deficit. They are so fast. The fastest target acquisition I have experienced. Greased lightning.
I will always own a pair of monarch 7 8x42s. Always. They have never betrayed a glaring weakness to me. They really are an exceptional 8x42 for the price. They don’t have it all, far from it. Their focus is a vaguely focused cloud compared to the precision of a sharply focused plane of their MUCH more expensive alpha counterparts. But, if you have never used binoculars, or want a spare pair that is exceptional, then these are highly regarded and cherished and and recommended by me.
-as you were, q

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write-up. Binoculars are for using. I feel similarly about my M7 8x30s. Far from perfect, but still very rewarding to use, and they are in my rucksack almost every day.

Quincy88,
Which Ultravid 7x42 model was that?
Ultravid, Ultravid HD, or Ultravid HD Plus?
Thanks.
Adhoc

Last edited:
Hi Quincy,

A bright gray (overcast) sky with Black Turkey Vultures or Ravens circling in it will test any binocular for CA. Focus has to be precise. I had an inexpensive 7x36 from Vortex that had a lagging focus in one of the objective tubes and the CA in a situation like yours with Turkey Vultures circling above me was horrible!

Except for the difference in power there isn't much difference between your 2 binoculars where they meet your eyes. They both have the same wide 8º Field of view, 17mm eye relief (17.1mm on the Nikon) and the Leica has a 6mm exit pupil while the Monarch's exit pupil is 5.3mm.

Enjoy them!

Bob

Last edited:
From my perspective as a wildlife professional, I think the Monarch 7 and Vortex Viper HD are the two most popular models used by my peers and colleagues for survey work and research. The M7 provides a lot of good quality viewing packed into an ergonomic body with limited financial investment (a good thing, too, since most wildlife professionals have limited financials to work with!).

Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back