• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony camcorder with 40x optical zoom (1 Viewer)

Probably like you i'm waitng to see a review or 2 of this. The optical zoom looks interesting - but why the 2000 x digital - why do they bother. There's not even a camcorder magazine anymore reviewing new cameras (that I can see anyway.)

Steve

Stevie babe said:
Probably like you i'm waitng to see a review or 2 of this. The optical zoom looks interesting - but why the 2000 x digital - why do they bother. There's not even a camcorder magazine anymore reviewing new cameras (that I can see anyway.)

Steve
I've taken the plunge and ordered one. I'll report back when it's arrived and I've had a go with it.
Sean

Don't think they're available until mid/late March. What is the 40x zoom equivalent to in 35mm 'speak'. It would be nice if it was 50-2000mm but unfortunately I expect it will be less than that.

Nick

Nick-on said:
Don't think they're available until mid/late March. What is the 40x zoom equivalent to in 35mm 'speak'. It would be nice if it was 50-2000mm but unfortunately I expect it will be less than that.

Nick

Found the answer to my own question (only had to look, lazy sod), it is 36-1440mm or just under 29x magnification. Size quoted is 72x73x109mm!!! It's bl**dy titchy and it only weighs 340g, easily fit into a coat pocket. I think one will soon be winging it's way to work (can't have them delivered to home, the wife may find out and then she'll want to spend money to 'even things out').

Nick

Nick-on said:

Nick
I ordered mine from Amazon, who have them in stock now for £210.

Sean

PS - just got home and it has arrived already! (Only ordered it on Sunday night.) Just charging it up so shuld be able to test it out tomorrow...

Last edited:
seanofford said:
I ordered mine from Amazon, who have them in stock now for £210.

Sean

PS - just got home and it has arrived already! (Only ordered it on Sunday night.) Just charging it up so shuld be able to test it out tomorrow...
OK...the battery has charged for half an hour and I couldn't resist it so I just did a little comparison in my (rather dimly lit) living room. I have an old Sony PC100 which is MANY years old, and I have to say that although the zoom on the new camcorder is incredible (though it hunts for focus a lot in low light), the overall image quality appears to be WAY lower than my older camcorder - far less detail etc. The picture looks cheap, and the camcorder feels cheap. But there again, it IS cheap!!! (Certainly compared to what I had to pay for the PC100.

Not sure whether it's going to be sent back yet - I'll try it in daylight to be fair to it....

Sean

PS A salutory lesson: just contacted Amazon who have told me they don't accept returns if the item has been opened...Bah! This one might end up on Ebay...

Last edited:
Teach me to read carefully, I was looking at (and thinking of buying) the Sony DCR-SR32 which is a hard drive recorder, costs 3350 and is available end of March. hopefully it will be better picture quality than Sean's HC45?

Nick

Nick-on said:
Teach me to read carefully, I was looking at (and thinking of buying) the Sony DCR-SR32 which is a hard drive recorder, costs 3350 and is available end of March. hopefully it will be better picture quality than Sean's HC45?

Nick
Quite probably, but less use in the field!

I'll keep a watch out for your reports chaps.

Strange that Amazon have it for £210 yet Argos price, for when available in March, is £429.00. A substantial difference

What is the expected recording time for best qualtiy recording level??

tks

Steve

I use a video camera for my pictures. The zoom actually is a bit tricky to use. It is entirely different from using a scope with a zoom. This is because you are looking at a little screen instead of an optical view. So, it does not take pictures in a big hurry, you need time to set up. You can always take video and look at how the frames came out.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back