• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest 8x42 vs Vortex Razor 8x42 (1 Viewer)

giosblue

Ok, I've read so many post on the internet regarding the Vortex vs the Zeiss I decided to buy a Conquest and do the comparison myself.

Just ordered a pair from Wex, exactly the same price as the Vortex, £680.

Apparently, to some people the Conquests "blow the Razors away". Night and day. It's no brainer.

So next week I will making a choice, Vortex Razor or Zeiss Conquest.

Ron

I preferred the Vortex Razor HD primarily due to ergonomics. Both are good, though. I'm not sure you'll see a ton of difference, optically, and I somewhat feel most people claiming to see vast differences between the two are biased due to the little blue flag... but that's just my opinion.

Ron,
I'm puzzled! Haven't you just very recently purchased a pair of Vortex Razor 8 x 42 HDs? I've followed the thread in which members put forward their experience on how well the build and optical performance of these are, and you were bought a pair and are pleased with them. Perhaps I've got it wrong, or one of the units will be returned after comparison.
Regards,
Pat

Ron,
I'm puzzled! Haven't you just very recently purchased a pair of Vortex Razor 8 x 42 HDs? I've followed the thread in which members put forward their experience on how well the build and optical performance of these are, and you were bought a pair and are pleased with them. Perhaps I've got it wrong, or one of the units will be returned after comparison.
Regards,
Pat

That's correct Pat, but I still have time to return the Vortex if the Conquest's are better.

And yes I am more than happy with the Vortex, It's just that while I still have time I would like to try the Zeiss as well. By all accounts, I'm going to be blown away by the Zeiss.

Ron

Ron

Those two are about equal with FOV's on the tight side. One other one you might try at that price point with a larger FOV, sharper edges and a more compact, lighter form is the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42.

Last edited:
Those two are about equal with FOV's on the tight side. One other one you might try at that price point with a larger FOV, sharper edges and a more compact, lighter form is the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42.

Yes, The Nikon is on my list and the price is about the same.
I might have to order a pair of them as well.

Well, the bins arrived today, but they are unusable. The eyecups are far too short. I just took them out of the box and came home for lunch to try them. I've not checked in the box. Do they provide longer ones with the bins, or am I missing something?

Ron

Well, the bins arrived today, but they are unusable. The eyecups are far too short. I just took them out of the box and came home for lunch to try them. I've not checked in the box. Do they provide longer ones with the bins, or am I missing something?

Ron

Zeiss will send you longer eyecups for your Conquest, at least they used to do that.

The eye-cups are often super stiff - make sure you have them pulled out to the last position, it may take far more force than you would expect.

I thought that, but I'm pretty sure they are at their max.

I have managed to get a view, but is hard work. Every other bin I've tried just plugs straight into my eye sockets and I get the full view.

I have to hover with these, or I get them rest against my eye socket at the top, but I'm not central.

Initial impressions are very similar optically. I would say the Zeiss has more of a cast and a slightly warmer view that the Vortex. Side by side the Vortex looks slightly washed out, cleaner and colder.
I'll have a proper look tonight.

Ron

The eye-cups are often super stiff - make sure you have them pulled out to the last position, it may take far more force than you would expect.
Exactly. When I first got my Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 I couldn't believe how hard they were to pull out. Even when I got the eye cups fully extended they were still too short though. The longer eye cups were still too short for me.

Exactly. When I first got my Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 I couldn't believe how hard they were to pull out. Even when I got the eye cups fully extended they were still too short though. The longer eye cups were still too short for me.

I'll try again when I get home, they extend about 10mm?

I've emailed Zeiss, can't find a number to ring.

I have a few bins at home including the Conquest HD 10x42. What amazes me about them is the light transmission for its class. Be sure to checkout both bins in low light situations.

They've relocated to Cambridge. I've found a listed number as follows...
01223 401 500
Found their service department very helpful when they were at Welwyn Garden City.

I e-mailed them yesterday, still not got a reply.

I've only had a brief look through them, so far, not impressed.

Ron

I have a few bins at home including the Conquest HD 10x42. What amazes me about them is the light transmission for its class. Be sure to checkout both bins in low light situations.
The Conquest's HD have great light transmission and they are very bright. They lack a little in contrast say compared to a Swarvski 8x30 CL. They also have some rough, tight sliding eye cups which for me were a little short. I am surprised Zeiss never fixed them.

Last edited:
I've had another play when I got home from work, really dull and light rain on and off.
The Zeiss definitely has a yellow cast compared to the Vortex, I find this to be an overriding feature when I switch between the two. The Vortex are clearer, I also think the Vortex is a tad sharper. I'm no expert at describing the differences, but to me, it's seems like there is less in the way of the view with the Vortex, it's less like you are looking through a pair of binoculars.
Bank Holiday weekend this week so I'll have more time to play.
Ergonomically for me the Vortex are much better, the eye cups on the Conquest are poor and the focusing is not as smooth as the Razors
So, so far the Razors are in the lead.
I have to say though, I don't see these massive differences on any binocular, that some people on various forums claim to see. I have a really old pair of Nikon 7x20 CL and they are as sharp as anything I've looked through.
Another thing is, now Vortex are made in China they are are rubbish and not worth the money. In my case the Razors and the Conquest are the same price £680.

Oh and regarding low light, exactly the same to my eyes. if there is a difference I can't see it.

Ron

They've relocated to Cambridge. I've found a listed number as follows...
01223 401 500
Found their service department very helpful when they were at Welwyn Garden City.

Thanks for that, Ill give them a ring tomorrow and let you know how I got one.

Ok, I've read so many post on the internet regarding the Vortex vs the Zeiss I decided to buy a Conquest and do the comparison myself.

Just ordered a pair from Wex, exactly the same price as the Vortex, £680.

Apparently, to some people the Conquests "blow the Razors away". Night and day. It's no brainer.

So next week I will making a choice, Vortex Razor or Zeiss Conquest.

Ron
Hi I have just checked on WEX and they are £849 now
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back