• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with panasonic NV GS 17 videocam (1 Viewer)

Jay23

I've just bought a Panasonic NV GS 17 for use as a 'video note book', it's very small and has a big optical zoom but comes without software and leads for editing video on my computer. Panasonic on line help has not proven useful - could not even tell me whether it's possible to do this. Anybody out there got any experience of this camera? How do you get footage onto your hard disk for editing?

Chris

This link: http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_2808.html provides some minimal information. Looks like it uses a USB 2.0 port for data transfer to computer.

Rick

ChrisSearle said:
I've just bought a Panasonic NV GS 17 for use as a 'video note book', it's very small and has a big optical zoom but comes without software and leads for editing video on my computer. Panasonic on line help has not proven useful - could not even tell me whether it's possible to do this. Anybody out there got any experience of this camera? How do you get footage onto your hard disk for editing?

Chris

ChrisSearle said:
Panasonic on line help has not proven useful - could not even tell me whether it's possible to do this. Anybody out there got any experience of this camera? How do you get footage onto your hard disk for editing?

Chris

Nice birding cam by the looks of the spec. It is mini DV and therefore has DV-out, confirmed by the specs on the panasonic website. You need a firewire IEE1394 port on your PC and the associated cable. If it is a desktop and you haven't got firewire the cards are cheap this card will set you back the awesome sum of about six quid. You might want to pay a little more and get a card with the firewire cable included else you'll have to shell out for that as well. Your cam probably has a 4-pin mini firewire socket which is worth watching for - you then need a 4-pin to 6pin cable as the cards usually have a 6 pin socket. Stick the card in your PC and you will already have the rudimentary editing program already with XP to lop out the rubbish. If you haven't got it it is a free download from microsoft That's all you need for birding applications, you don't need Adobe Premiere or the like. Any standard DVD making prog should be able to take the resulting DV avis and put them onto a DVD for you. If you have a mac I think you should have everything already on board.

Avoid USB for DV video - firewire was designed for DV cams and offers you the real-time performance needed for video coming off tape.

ermine said:
Nice birding cam by the looks of the spec. It is mini DV and therefore has DV-out, confirmed by the specs on the panasonic website. You need a firewire IEE1394 port on your PC and the associated cable. If it is a desktop and you haven't got firewire the cards are cheap this card will set you back the awesome sum of about six quid. You might want to pay a little more and get a card with the firewire cable included else you'll have to shell out for that as well. Your cam probably has a 4-pin mini firewire socket which is worth watching for - you then need a 4-pin to 6pin cable as the cards usually have a 6 pin socket. Stick the card in your PC and you will already have the rudimentary editing program already with XP to lop out the rubbish. If you haven't got it it is a free download from microsoft That's all you need for birding applications, you don't need Adobe Premiere or the like. Any standard DVD making prog should be able to take the resulting DV avis and put them onto a DVD for you. If you have a mac I think you should have everything already on board.

Avoid USB for DV video - firewire was designed for DV cams and offers you the real-time performance needed for video coming off tape.

Yes, I see now that it does have a firewire port. Didn't see that at first. That is certainly the way to go. Thanks for finding that info and pointing it out.

Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back