• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White egrets in Ireland? (1 Viewer)

pbono

I just got back from a (non-birding) tour of Ireland. But, of course, as a birder, I had my binoculars and my Birds of Europe field guide (Jonsson).

While waiting to board our tour bus at about 0745 on 25 August 2005 at the Bunratty Hotel near the mouth of the River Shannon (about 6kms from Shannon airport), I observed two white egrets flying west along the river. I had a quick look with my binoculars, but they were flying away from me so I did not get a good look at bill and leg color. My first impression was of Great White Egret, Ardea alba, based on size and overall jizz), but, upon reflection, I could not rule out Little Egret.

On 29 August at about 1100, I took the DART north out of Dublin to North Bull Island, where I saw a Little Egret, Egretta garzetta, wading in the shallows along the causeway. After a few minutes it flew south away from me over the Visitors Centre.

Jonsson does not show either egret as occurring in Ireland. However, the notes in the Bird Forum database say that Little Egret started nesting in Ireland in 1997 and that Great Egret also has occurred in Ireland.

Can anyone tell me about the distribution and occurrence of white egrets in Ireland? Is there any known colony of Great Egrets or Little Egrets around the mouth of the River Shannon? What about the occurrence of Little Egrets in Dublin Bay?

If this forum is not the right place for this thread, can someone direct me to the right forum?

Thanking you all in advance,

Peter Bono

they would probably have been little egrets as this species is spreading around Britain at a rate of knots. there were several in shropshire last year which was pretty cool! but i've seen about 10 over here in 5 years

seems to be alot of cattle egrets around too, they were probably little egrets you saw though - they seem to be everywhere now in Ireland

Hi,

Little Egrets started nesting in the late 90's along the Cork/Waterford border and now can be found nesting in Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow & Louth. I believe there was a nesting attempt in Kerry some years ago...
The Cork/Waterford colony is quite large, with c.100 pairs I think??? Perhaps one of the local birders could clarify this.

I do not know of any breeding Little Egrets in Dublin, but it is likely that there may be a few pairs??? The Bull Island is a typical wintering haunt for the Egrets in Dublin and I have myself seen up to 30 birds here on a (very!) good day.

They have extended their post-breeding/winter range inland and west and can be found regularly in Clare. They are scarce in Tipperary, Galway, Mayo & Donegal. Flocks of up to 50 Little Egrets are not uncommon in the south east in late summer.

Great Egrets are still a rarity in Ireland but have become more regular in recent years. Still not guaranteed to see them though, even on a twitch!
I have seen 2 here in 12 years of active birding...(both in Wicklow)

See ya,
Niall

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Based on them--especially Niall's--I'm confident that I saw Little Egret in both cases.

It just shows how much you need local, recent knowledge about ranges and sightings if you are a birder in a foreign land. You can't rely on the range maps in the field guides.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back