• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia for Christmas (1 Viewer)

Chris D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
My wife and I are flying into the capital, having some sleep, then heading south for about 3 weeks. Get there Dec 20th. Never been to Africa. Never been to Europe. Everything will be new. Everything..............

I've got the "Horn Field Guide" and the smaller version (field guide) of the mammals. Have a 4 wheel drive waiting and a guide familiar more with the cultures of the south. Honestly, that is my focus - but still love all things avian, faunal, floral, etc.

If anyone familiar with some special spots for birds, mammals, bugs, rocks, etc. has any tips ------ I'd love to hear. We'll be camping and quite self sufficient.

I've always been appreciative of this forum. Trying not to learn too much - before we go - though we're quite hip to the realities of similar places/destinations.

Thanks - and Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays............

Chris and Dale Durniak
Chico, CA.
USA

I have just come back from Ethiopia. Please visit my blog (link underneath) and go to November sightings. You should get a good idea here.

Please go to the Bale Mountains to get some memorable species, such as Ethiopian Wolf and Spot-breasted Plover.

Take a good map!!!

Good luck, it is a very safe and enjoyable country, you'll love it.

Please go to the Bale Mountains to get some memorable species, such as Ethiopian Wolf and Spot-breasted Plover.

Take a good map!!!

Bale Mountains are magic, agree you really must go there.

Take some rocks to chuck at the kids, gee they are the world's most annoying :-O

Last edited:
Thanks to both. Throwing rocks (as a kid) at other kids developed my arm strength to a super strength. Did quite well thowing out runners (as a catcher) in our baseball sport. Similar to your Cricket - but played with more guns, buffalo, apaches, and techtonic activity. I'm currently drinking tequila with my father-in-law. Our place is surrounded by desperados. Still have local Anna's hummers and my quail though. That's all from the colonies.............

Matt. Just checked out your stuff. Great. Great photos. Jos, you gotta visit some time. We'll shoot old washing machines and eat killer Messican food.

We are going to Ethiopia in january but have hired a guide so we don't miss out! There is an excellent book by Claire Spottiswoode, Merid Gabremichael and Julian Francis called "Where to Watch Birds in Ethiopia". have a look at the Ethiopian Quadrants web-site for info too.

Check my report:
http://www.freewebs.com/lievendetemmerman/ethiopia 2009 travel report pdf.pdf

And the map:
http://maps.google.nl/maps/ms?oe=ut...298096&spn=6.318077,6.591797&z=7&source=embed

There are a lot of birding possibilities just around the rift lakes (especially lake Langano and Ziway), but I hope you do have time to venture into the Bale Mountains. I would recommend the area around Yabello for the Bush-crow and White-tailed Swallow as it has also a lot of other nice birds, and the Jemma Valley north of the capital.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back