• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dublin Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi Peter

You get around Birdforum, Louth Galway and now Dublin.
I have attached a brambling pic, one of 4 brambling near the zoo yesterday.
Up to 30 redwing present also.

Sean

Attachments

• DSC01318.JPG
    DSC01318.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Dave,
The Dipper photo's were taken last summer and at the time I had a hide in my neighbour's garden where the Dippers roost on the Delvin River. They had one chick in 2007 despite much flooding of their patch.
Regards, Joe

Peter, Look what you started, I'm looking for images in the attic, soon will run out of Dublin birds, Taken at Chapel St Balbriggan
Joe

Attachments

• waxwings 2006 at Balbriggan.jpg
    waxwings 2006 at Balbriggan.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 165
Peter, Look what you started, I'm looking for images in the attic, soon will run out of Dublin birds, Taken at Chapel St Balbriggan
Joe

Great shots Joe. At least its keeping you busy.

Eanin, I was on holidays in Galway over the christmas. I dont normally travel too far from Louth (I work in Dublin). I have not seen the Brambling over the last few days, well spotted.

Any news on the Red necked Grebe? I might go for it on Sunday if its still there.

Where were the Purple Sandpipers, Dave? Nice photo by the way.

Last edited:
Where were the Purple Sandpipers, Dave? Nice photo by the way.

Peter,

On the rocky stretch of coast north of the beach in Portmarnock.

Joe,

If your archives are used up you'll just have to go out & get some more!! Black Redstart & Glaucous Gull around Balbriggan for you at present!

Here are a few of the Med gulls that were in Bullock Harbour during the week.
Various amounts of legs! And black on primaries and heads.

Great thread is there a wicklow/wexford one?

All the best
-Michael

Attachments

• img_4964_std.jpg
    img_4964_std.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 149
  • img_4971_std.jpg
    img_4971_std.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 137
  • img_4992_std.jpg
    img_4992_std.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 132
  • img_5000_std.jpg
    img_5000_std.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 150
  • img_5052_std.jpg
    img_5052_std.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 152
No Wicklow thread, I´m afraid. Odd. Bad news on RN Grebe, it was looked for yesterday by original finder and not in sight. Bad news also on Laughing Gull at Dún Laoghaire, I couldn´t find it today and neither could more serious folk that I met.

Michael, Love the images and in partcular the one with the bread crust.

Dave, That Bl Redstart is a pain; every time I go down the harbour its missing and when I'm in Naul it gives rave shows. I'm almost down to the bottom of the files ,, Pheasant just qualifies I hope.
Joe

Attachments

• Magpie.jpg
    Magpie.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Pheasant.jpg
    Pheasant.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Common Sandpiper no 1 .jpg
    Common Sandpiper no 1 .jpg
    206 KB · Views: 150
Swords

Lovely shots Michael.

Brief call in to Swords between other stuff today to catch up with Little Gulls - a bit distant for any worthwhile shots though. Couple of large crops below

Attachments

• LG1090208.jpg
    LG1090208.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 142
  • LG2090208.JPG
    LG2090208.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 149
Here are a few of the Med gulls that were in Bullock Harbour during the week.
Various amounts of legs! And black on primaries and heads.

Great thread is there a wicklow/wexford one?

All the best
-Michael

Thanks anyway Sancho.

Michael, Joe and Dave lovely shots. I was a bit hesitant about starting this thread, but I am glad I did now.

Up to date local news and great photos, what more could you want?

Michael, I would gladly start a thread for either Wicklow or Wexford, but as I dont get down there very often,it probably would not make much sence.

Its east to start one. Just click the red 'new thread' icon at the top of the page called 'your local patch 'and call it what you like.

Try it for yourself! It would be nice to have a thread for Wicklow as its Birdwatch Irelands, home county. I am sure it would not much to get some of the Birdwatch lads to contribute to it. If you start one, I will do my best to 'round up a possy' of contributors.

The only news from the zoo today was 4 Blackcaps hunting in the shrubbery, not your usual berry and apple eating ones.

Last edited:
Hi All, Smashing day today, 15deg in early February, more like the Med.
Next few images;
Joe

Attachments

• 01- Goldfinch.jpg
    01- Goldfinch.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 01- Sparrowhawk.jpg
    01- Sparrowhawk.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 01- Yellowhammer.jpg
    01- Yellowhammer.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 133
Glaucous

Caught up briefly with the Glauc at Balbriggan this morning.

Attachments

• Glauc1100208.JPG
    Glauc1100208.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 151
Hi All, Another glorious morning and here are my few for today,
Joe

Attachments

• 02- Sparrow no 3.jpg
    02- Sparrow no 3.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 02- Sparrow no 4.jpg
    02- Sparrow no 4.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 02- Tern.jpg
    02- Tern.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 142
Just found this forum - best of luck with it Peter - I hope this dosn't mean a lesser input into our Louth forum?? ;)
I do a bit of work in Dublin so I'll keep an eye here to see what's about.
It'll take a while for the forum to get up and running, but if it's half as good as the Louth one, it'll be a great asset to the capital's birding (not taking away from websites such as Tolka, Fingal and Dublin South).
And Joe - great photos - keep them coming.

Derek Watters

A request: my favourite bogey-bird, Twite, four of them, were reported on BINS yesterday at the north end of the Bull Island. I'd really appreciate if anyone could give my a bit of site advice, or reports on them from today if they're around. I'm going to try for them tomorrow morning, but I'll have a 2-year old child in tow, so I'll be trying to do a "precision strike" involving a mini-scope, bucket and spade, nappy changes, etc.....

Last edited:
I'm going to stick my neck out and get myself into terrible trouble here, but on reflection I'd rather Wicklow news were posted on this Dublin thread.
My thoughts for what its worth - might it be an idea in that case to change the thread title to Dublin/Wicklow? So that other Wicklow birders will know that Wicklow is included in the thread? They changed the Louth title from Dundalk Bay to Co Louth so hopefully it wouldn't be a problem.

Well I will be at bull island on wednesday, what surprises may occur there, can anyone tell me? When is high tide, how do I find out these things? Thanks.

Well I will be at bull island on wednesday, what surprises may occur there, can anyone tell me? When is high tide, how do I find out these things? Thanks.

Hi Razorsharp, For daily bird news in the Republic of Ireland Ring BINS 1550111700.

This is a link for tides. http://www.ireland.com/weather/tides.html

See map attached for best viewing (on Causeway). Either side is good. Probably best on a rising tide as the birds get pushed very close to the causeway and you get great views. There has been a female Blue winged Teal knocking about for the last couple of winters looking south of the causeway usually with Shoveler. I dont think its been seen for a while, but its worth a look. Also over the last couple of years there has been a Green winged Teal here. Also Carrion Crow and Ring billed Gull I have also seen Black Brant and Short billed Dowitcher from here. The Bull Island is one of the best sites in Dublin.

Also at the southern end of the map if you walk out over the wooden bridge (tide in) it can be good for sea duck and grebes sometimes. Red necked Grebe a few days ago across the southen side and Black necked Grebe a couple of years ago. Also sometimes Long tailed Duck and on the rocks at the very end sometimes Purple Sandpiper, but they are much rarer these days.

You cant go far wrong with Eric Dempsey/Michael O Cleary; new site guide to Ireland. But the name escapes me at the moment.

Sancho. I have never seen Twite on the Bull but this is were the Linnets normally are on the northern side. There is a narrow path along the back of the golf course. Your best bet is probably to get them on call. Best to listen to a tape before you go!

Attachments

• Bull Island.jpg
    Bull Island.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Sancho. I have never seen Twite on the Bull but this is were the Linnets normally are on the northern side. There is a narrow path along the back of the golf course. Your best bet is probably to get them on call. Best to listen to a tape before you go!

I've dipped at some of the best Twite sites in Ireland, and found myself staring at Linnets trying to wish them into Twite. People tell me once you see Twite, you'll know it's not Linnet...Managed to hear a Twite at Soldier's Point this winter, flying overhead with some Linnets, but it was a rotten day and I couldn't figure out which one was the Twite as they disappeared into the distance. I think I'll give the trip to the Bull tomorrow a miss unless I hear something more concrete, as I don't have time for a "proper" day on the Bull!

ardnasx1....I agree. In any case, half of Bray is in Dublin County, and even Wicklow people don't really consider the rest of Bray to be part of Wicklow at all. Greystones is a grey area (no pun intended....really....), but I suppose Wicklow people would consider Kilcoole to be within their territory. Fact is, there's never even been an active Wicklow Branch of Birdwatch, so I really reckon most birding interest in the County comes from Dubliners. (Perhaps Wicklow ought to be abolished, and quartered between Dublin, Wexford, Carlow and Kildare...)

Last edited:
I've dipped at some of the best Twite sites in Ireland, and found myself staring at Linnets trying to wish them into Twite.

I know the feeling...believe me. It was not until I moved to Louth that I started seeing Twite with any kind of regularity.

ardnasx1....I agree. In any case, half of Bray is in Dublin County, and even Wicklow people don't really consider the rest of Bray to be part of Wicklow at all. Greystones is a grey area (no pun intended....really....), but I suppose Wicklow people would consider Kilcoole to be within their territory. Fact is, there's never even been an active Wicklow Branch of Birdwatch, so I really reckon most birding interest in the County comes from Dubliners. (Perhaps Wicklow ought to be abolished, and quartered between Dublin, Wexford, Carlow and Kildare...)

I am not so sure....I think we could do with more threads. I think combining counties for a thread would be useful if there were only a small numbers of observers covering large distances(like the north west perhaps). But Dublin and Wicklow have some of the biggest populations of birders. And what about the 'Local factor'. I think that combining too many areas will result in a loss of localness(if that make sence). For instance-How would the 'Louth Thread' contributors like to bundled in with other east coast counties?

I have looked through some of the threads and they are all different. They have all developed 'different cultures', I suppose this is partly a result of the motives for starting the thread in the first place and the type of contributions most often made to that thread.

The 3 county threads ,Louth, Galway and Dublin are all doing well. The Dublin and Galway Threads are only a few weeks old.Maybe leave them for a while and see in a couple of months. I still think there is plenty of scope for all of these threads to grow (Dublin and Galway more so because of the number of active birders, and most of the active birders in Louth already contribute regularly to the Louth Local patch.).
Maybe some shamless plugging and publicity would help.I only found out about the Louth Thread a year and a half after it started and have been living in the county for 4 years.

I think if the Irish county threads are going to continue to grow and be successful you need to have some at least one person active in that thread,local to that area that knows the sites and can tap into the 'local grapevine' and will readily make that information available to their Thread.

What do other people think?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back