• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And more Y L Gulls Wales (1 Viewer)

gowerboy

Came across a mix of gulls yesterday, sure one is a Y L gull, but other seemed a lot darker.
In the shot with the 3 gulls what are they please?

Oops, heres the pics.........

Attachments

• gull 3.JPG
    gull 3.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 96
  • gull2.JPG
    gull2.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 110
  • gull 1.JPG
    gull 1.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 113
First, I'm not a gull expert, but I would say that:
In the first pic is a LBB Gull. In the second pic you have also 2 LBB Gulls and another bird - maybe an immature Herring Gull?
In the third pic I would say that is also a LBB Gull...

Last edited:
I'd say that bird in the last pic was a great black backed gull? certainly looks pretty big and bulky.

It was not that big Luke. All the gulls were in the water due to a peregrine 50yds away eating a BHG, so no good shots of the legs

in that case then it would be an intermedius lesser black backed gull which would probably be a passage bird i wales

I think all the photos are of Lesser Black-backed Gull except that the second one also shows a 2nd cal yr Herring Gull.

The differences in the shade of grey are I think due to 2 different subspecies of LBB - Larus fuscus graellsii, the lighter one that rings alarm bells for YL Gull and L.f.intermedius the darker LBB.

Both these subsp. winter throughout Atlantic Europe - one more, which is rare, being the practically jet black L.f.fuscus (Baltic Gull) which shows no discernible contrast between the primaries and upperparts.

Simon

All are LBBG's except the Herring in the middle image. The various upperparts tone in the three graellsii is due to various light conditions. Contrast between primaries and upperpart tone in image 2 & 3 is obvious enough to suggest graellsii, which also varies in upperparts tone. Strange marking around the eye on the last one.

JanJ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back