• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonefaction's 2012 List. (1 Viewer)

15th April

A change of plan due to illness meant that a trip to the Isle of May with my pal was put on hold, so I headed to Fife looking to add a few new year ticks to my list. Walked out from Leuchars along the back of the RAF base past Earlshall Castle. Mistle Thrush, Buzzard, Meadow Pipit and House Sparrow were the best birds on the first part of the walk. Took the detour to the north in the hope of adding Snipe to the list for the day. At the first boardwalk section, at least 3 Water Rail were tantalisingly close (within 6 feet or so) but completely hidden in the reeds. Some movement of the reedtops was as close as I got to a sighting though. Reed Bunting and Grey Heron were also seen here.

Passed a noisy Rookery at the edge of the woods and also a possible Grey Heron's nest in the same area. Heard Green Woodpecker further in but not too many birds around while in the trees (Siskin and Chaffinch seen, Wren heard). Out to the beach where I was hoping to see a few birds in the outer reaches of the Eden and along the shore. Not much around, so walked out towards the mouth of the river. A few gulls (Common, Black Headed, Herring and Great Black Backed), a Curlew or two, some Oystercatchers, a drake Red Breasted Merganser were the highlights. I stopped and scanned out in St Andrews Bay and managed to spot a couple of Sandwich Terns fishing. My first of the summer. A possible Black Throated Diver flew by heading south into the bay where it landed. Had a few sunlit possible Gannets way out to sea before I picked up a definite much closer in. A few Eiders around also.

Decided to head back along the beach. Spotted a seal and a couple of dark ducks with white patches on their head. Initial thought was Velvet Scoter but the white patch was too large. A few seconds more study and it clicked. Long Tailed Ducks in summer plumage. Got distracted by something then turned around to find that the LTDs were much closer in to shore than they had been. When they dived, I hurried closer. Positioning myself behind a wooden pole I managed some of my best photos yet of this handsome wee duck and my first in summer plumage. Managed a few more shots of a group of three and a single bird later (all males). A solitary Grey Plover was further up the beach than I was, but it scurried off before I got many photos. A Lapwing and a Wheatear were seen before I got back to the wood. A pair of Mute Swans flying low along the tree-line looked like they'd came from the Goosepools area.

Tried to hurry back to the village in the hope of catching a bus back to Dundee without a long wait. Linnet and Long Tailed Tit delayed my progress slightly, and in the fields to the north of Earlshall Castle a small group of Stock Doves shared the ground with Woodpigeons, Jackdaws, Pied Wagtails, Lesser Black Backed and Herring Gulls. By the houses a pair of Collared Doves were on the road. Packed away the camera and hurried through the village. Missed the bus by a minute or two, so had to wait twenty minutes till the next one.

138. Gannet
139. Sandwich Tern

18th April

A day off work (to fail my driving test again) meant a chance to do a spot of birding, so I headed to Guardbridge where a Willow Warbler was heard in the trees near the north end gate. Three of us tried to spot it but failed.

Headed into the centre but not too many birds around. The Spotted Redshank which is moulting into summer plumage with quite a lot of black on the belly was opposite the hide in the company of Redshanks and Dunlin. Something spooked them and off they flew to the far side of the saltmarsh. The usual selection of other waders were around in small numbers - Black Tailed Godwits, Curlew and Oystercatcher. Four species of gull - Great Black Backed, Lesser Black Backed, Herring and Black Headed were also out on the mud. Not too many birds around the feeders - Blackbird, Coal Tit, Greenfinch, Blue Tit and Chaffinch, with a short visit from a Collared Dove and a small baby Rabbit.

Once the tide was in ducks were more noticable - Mallard, Teal, Wigeon, Pintail (1 pair), Shelduck, Eider and 1 very distant Pink Footed Goose. A Fulmar unexpectedly flew past the centre heading inland (probably to Balmullo quarry), and Gannets could just be seen diving in St Andrews Bay with the benefit of sunlight and a scope. Picked up a Skylark rising into the sky over the RAF base.

Heard the distinctive sound of Willow Warbler outside so wandered out to see if I could see the bird. Struggled at first until I realised the bird was lower and closer than I thought. My first Willow Warbler of the year.

Other birds seen were Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Feral Pigeon, Rook, Starling and Woodpigeon.

140. Willow Warbler

Last edited:
21st April

Another visit to the Eden Estuary today. Not too many birds around but quality made up for lack of quantity. Most of the usual suspects around on the mud - Black tailed Godwit, Curlew, Carrion Crow, Great Black Backed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Oystercatcher and Shelduck. Had a fly-through by a small-ish flock of Golden Plover when the birds were disturbed by overflying raptors.

Smaller birds seen included Blackbird, Linnet, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin and several swallows passing through headed north.

A nice mixture of waterfowl at high tide included Mallard, Teal, Tufted Duck(3), Eider, Pintail(10), Goldeneye(3), Long Tailed Duck(1), Red Breasted Merganser and Wigeon.

Managed to see 5 species of raptor - the usual Buzzards (including a spot of mating) - probably double figures around, Kestrel (a male being harassed by a Carrion Crow, then later flying low over the water), Sparrowhawk (a female seen twice), Peregrine and the highlight of the day - White Tailed Eagle. Initially saw one bird very distant soaring with a pair of Buzzards. Lost that one in the expanse of the sky. A little later one was seen much closer with another bird flying up to meet it, which turned out to be a second WTE. Both birds flew closer and over the top of us (both had turquoise-blue wing tags (2010 release birds?)). As we watched these 2 another one was spotted more distantly, so we managed to have 3 of these magnificent beasts in view at one time.

Other birds seen included Grey Heron, Jackdaw, Pink Footed goose, Feral Pigeon, Rook, Collared Dove and Woodpigeon.

141. Golden Plover

A bit of catching up to do.....

22nd April
142. House Martin - Loch of Kinnordy
143. Common Sandpiper - Glen Lethnot
144. Ring Ouzel - Glen Lethnot

28th April
145. Ruddy Duck - Fife
146. Arctic Skua - Firth of Forth
147. Sand Martin - Isle of May
148. Tree Pipit - Isle of May
149. White Wagtail - Isle of May
150. Brambling - Isle of May

5th May
151. Common Tern - Fife Ness
152. Sedge Warbler - Fife Ness

6th May
153. Whimbrel - Monifieth

7th May
154. Cuckoo - Glen Lethnot
155. Redstart - Glen Lethnot
156. Whitethroat - Kinnaird estate

8th May
157. Swift - Dundee

19th May
158. Nuthatch - Hopetoun House

26th May
159. Arctic Tern - Fife Ness

30th May
160. Spotted Flycatcher - Glen Prosen
161. Whinchat - Glen Prosen

1st June
162. Red Crested Pochard - Forfar Loch
163. Long Eared Owl - Angus

3rd June
164. Little Gull - Invergowrie Bay

10th June
165. Wood Warbler - Killiecrankie

12th June
166. Hobby - Port Allen
167. Bearded Tit - Tay Reedbeds

23rd June
168. Goshawk - undisclosed site
169. Stonechat - Kilry Hill

4th July
170. Surf Scoter - Barry Buddon

6th July
171. Manx Shearwater - Ardnamurchan point
172. Sooty Shearwater - Ardnamurchan point
173. Black Guillemot - Corran Ferry
174. Hooded Crow - Corran Ferry
175. Twite - Achosnish

26th August

179. Ruff

30th August

180. Lesser Whitethroat

2nd September

181. Curlew Sandpiper

9th September

182. Green Sandpiper

6th December

196. Tawny Owl

30th December

197. Purple Sandpiper

2 more than last year's total of 195, but 8 down on the 205 seen in 2010.
9 lifers this year (3 self found) - Lesser Whitethroat, Siberian Chiffchaff, Red Crested Pochard, Hobby, Red Breasted Flycatcher, Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, Radde's Warbler, Honey Buzzard and Parrot Crossbill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back