• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Live Cornell Lab Panama webcam: Canopy Lodge (3 Viewers)

Just jealous, I had to work today so missed most of it, but hey, the Barred Antshrike, and the Variegated Squirrel yesterday were cool.
Whenever I have dipped in today there's been Gray or Clay in the names.
H

finally connected with the black-chested jay just as the light was going yesterday.
Also, what is this little green bird, please? Must be one we've had but I'm confused!

Attachments

• black-chested jay.jpg
    black-chested jay.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 25
  • unknown.png
    unknown.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 39
Green bird should be female Thick-billed Euphonia I believe.

Thanks. I saw another one that looked like a watered down version of the male (green but with a yellow headcap) but perhaps it was an immature male.
There must have been around 20 species of birds identified by now. Several opossum sightings last night, too - common I think.

Last edited:
I think I finally spotted the silver-throated tanager. And the immature male thick-billed euphonia.
Have we had the black-capped blue one before?... i see it's a green honeycreeper, so the answer is 'yes'. (It looks blue to me!)

Attachments

• silver-throated tanager.png
    silver-throated tanager.png
    103 KB · Views: 35
  • pres thick-billed euphonia imm .png
    pres thick-billed euphonia imm .png
    78.4 KB · Views: 34
  • unknown 5b.png
    unknown 5b.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I thought I'd put an up-to-date list of sightings on the webcam on eBird (but not for public view so that I can remove them again easily). The advantage is that this should put things in taxonomic order. I don't know whether it will work or not but at least I've increased my life-list by 23 temporarily 8-P

These observations have been hidden. It may take up to a day before they are removed from public output.
Canopy Lodge, Coclé, PA ( Map ) ( Hotspot )
Date and Effort
Edit Date and Effort
Sun Feb 18, 2018

Protocol:
Incidental

Party Size:
N/A

Observers:
Ken Noble

Comments:
N/A

Species

23 species total

• Grey-headed Chachalaca

• Grey-cowled Wood-Rail

• Rufous-tailed Hummingbird

• Rufous Motmot

• Spot-crowned Barbet

• Red-crowned Woodpecker

• Barred Antshrike

• Cocoa Woodcreeper

• Black-chested Jay

• Clay-coloured Thrush

• Prothonotary Warbler

• Tennessee Warbler

• Flame-rumped Tanager

• Crimson-backed Tanager

• Blue-grey Tanager

• Palm Tanager

• Silver-throated Tanager

• Red-legged Honeycreeper

• Green Honeycreeper
    • Buff-throated Saltator

• Dusky-faced Tanager

• Red-crowned Ant-Tanager

• Thick-billed Euphonia

I thought I'd put an up-to-date list of sightings on the webcam on eBird (but not for public view so that I can remove them again easily). The advantage is that this should put things in taxonomic order. I don't know whether it will work or not but at least I've increased my life-list by 23 temporarily 8-P

[*]Grey-headed Chachalaca

[*]Grey-cowled Wood-Rail

[*]Rufous-tailed Hummingbird

[*]Rufous Motmot

[*]Spot-crowned Barbet

[*]Red-crowned Woodpecker

[*]Barred Antshrike

[*]Cocoa Woodcreeper

[*]Black-chested Jay

[*]Clay-coloured Thrush

[*]Prothonotary Warbler

[*]Tennessee Warbler

[*]Flame-rumped Tanager

[*]Crimson-backed Tanager

[*]Blue-grey Tanager

[*]Palm Tanager

[*]Silver-throated Tanager

[*]Red-legged Honeycreeper

[*]Green Honeycreeper

[*]Buff-throated Saltator

[*]Dusky-faced Tanager

[*]Red-crowned Ant-Tanager

[*]Thick-billed Euphonia

Thanks for updated list! It looks like it is missing Chestnut-headed Oropendola and Collared Aracari though ;) So 25 species seen at the camera so far?
I think there was also some footage of Baltimore Oriole previously on the same Cornell Lab Bird Cams Project Youtube channel?

Thanks for updated list! It looks like it is missing Chestnut-headed Oropendola and Collared Aracari though ;) So 25 species seen at the camera so far?
I think there was also some footage of Baltimore Oriole previously on the same Cornell Lab Bird Cams Project Youtube channel?

Well spotted!

Not looked at this recently, but due to a new phone contract with increased data just been on again, scored with Honeycreepers, I assume Red-legged and Green, plus what I assumed was a Toucanet but can’t find it googling for Toucanet Costa Rica. Mainly chestnut with blueish wings and yellow outer tail feathers. Big ivory bill (not woodpecker ;)) with shield extending onto crown. Can’t copy a still on my phone.

Edit: yeah, that 20 minutes of that smacked 0.9 gigs of my new ten gig monthly phone allowance. Could get expensive if you got addicted.

Last edited:
... plus what I assumed was a Toucanet but can’t find it googling for Toucanet Costa Rica. Mainly chestnut with blueish wings and yellow outer tail feathers. Big ivory bill (not woodpecker ;)) with shield extending onto crown.

That sounds like Chestnut-headed Oropendola - they are daily visitors. Usually very brief visits though. :t:

Leucistic Clay-colored Thrush briefly this afternoon. It was entirely light tan/cream with slightly darker wingtips. Must have been channeling its inner Iceland Gull!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back