• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

suggested camera for kowa 663, prefer connection via filter thread (1 Viewer)

peterbr

Hello,

I've been reading up on camera options for digiscoping.
The dilemma seems to be to thread or not to thread.
Meaning using a camera with a filter thread seems to be the easiest way to attach a camera. It also seem to be the cheapest way, looking at the prices of UCA's

Kowa has some camera recommendations on
http://www.kowa-usa.com/digiscope/item/index.htm
but the info seems somewhat dated.

Any recommendations for a camera that still has a filter thread on its lens? Or is the UCA approach better.

Peter

Hi Peter,

A warm welcome to BirdForum. I am sure that you will find much to interest you on this friendly and informative website.

In answer to your question, in my experience I find that a camera lens with a filter thread is the easiest to centralise on a scope eyepiece. I have recently purchased a Nikon V1 with 10-30mm zoom specially for digiscoping. The lens has a 40.5mm filter thread which with a stepping ring attaches nicely to my Swarovski scope using a DCA adaptor.

In the past I have used compact cameras connected by a universal-type adaptor which needed realigning each time I attached it to my scope, hence missing some important shots at times.

Others may offer differing opinions. I suggest reading through the threads concerning adaptors and accessories which may suggest alternative advice.

Good luck!

Mike

I agree with Mike that the Nikon V1 lenses are the easiest for direct coupling. There are not many other choices these days unless you want to buy an older camera eg Nikon P6000.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back