• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can't get the directories of my ftp sites:-( (1 Viewer)

Tim_in_indiana

Hey all,

Thought I might find some knowledgeable person, or persons, to help me with a problem that has just popped up.

I have subscribed to ATTBI (broadband internet cable connection) for two months now and have been able to upload and download files to my webserver space, but yesterday when I tried, I couldn't see my server directory. I can see my computer directory on the left, but not my server directory. The cable modem is lighting up like a Christmas tree, and I get a verified connection to the server. The send button is on almost constantly for 20 seconds or so, It's like the computer is downloading a huge file, except nothing comes up. By the way, I'm using Cuteftp version 2.8.

Also, the setup is a Linksys Etherfast Cable modem, and a matching Etherfast wireless access router. The computer is a Dell 8200 running XP.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Unless you've changed your FTP settings in CuteFTP, then it might be a problem at the server.

Check the settings and then see if your ISP has a service status page. I am on cable broadband here in the UK and occasionally I find that work is being done and the FTP facility is not available temporarily. The service status page tells me what part of the service is down or having problems.

Hope this helps.

Diane.

Checked the status via ATT, and everything is fine. I can get on the web and download e-mail. I just can't connect via ftp. I tried doing it through ATT's login, but the same thing happens. The cable modem goes into hyperdrive, but no directory. I have rebooted both the modem and wireless network, but no change. I have contacted Linksys, but their fixes don't work either. They said to enter a set of port numbers which didn't work, and then asked me to enable port triggering (no change).

Help:-(,

Tim

Tim,

Are you seeing any error messages, or is it just hanging there doing nothing? Do you have a firewall running? As you mention that it's now working since you disconnected the router, has your IP address changed?

Diane.

Perhaps your host doesn't like proxy servers? Thats basically what a router acts like i believe?

If you think that could be a possibility, try asking them.

Ollie

The ftp logon works, but the directory never comes up. I have never had the xp firewall connected.

Diane, the server does seem to hang. I get a lot of activity, and then nothing, except the old Microsoft hour glass, which sits there forever without any change.

I don't mean to be a pest, but thanks for the help.

Tim

Thanks Diane,

I'm going to check out the site. My son works for a company in Indianapolis, Indiana, as a server expert. I talked to him and he, at 25, loves to give me trouble for my computer shortcomings and mistakes;-). I hope to get things back up and running before I see him again. It's kind of fun now to have him tell ME I did a good job:).

Have to love those kids;-),

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back