Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Can't get the directories of my ftp sites:-(

Old Sunday 12th January 2003, 17:05   #1
Tim_in_indiana

Can't get the directories of my ftp sites:-(

Hey all,

Thought I might find some knowledgeable person, or persons, to help me with a problem that has just popped up.

I have subscribed to ATTBI (broadband internet cable connection) for two months now and have been able to upload and download files to my webserver space, but yesterday when I tried, I couldn't see my server directory. I can see my computer directory on the left, but not my server directory. The cable modem is lighting up like a Christmas tree, and I get a verified connection to the server. The send button is on almost constantly for 20 seconds or so, It's like the computer is downloading a huge file, except nothing comes up. By the way, I'm using Cuteftp version 2.8.

Also, the setup is a Linksys Etherfast Cable modem, and a matching Etherfast wireless access router. The computer is a Dell 8200 running XP.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Old Sunday 12th January 2003, 17:10   #2
digi-birder

Hi Tim,

Unless you've changed your FTP settings in CuteFTP, then it might be a problem at the server.

Check the settings and then see if your ISP has a service status page. I am on cable broadband here in the UK and occasionally I find that work is being done and the FTP facility is not available temporarily. The service status page tells me what part of the service is down or having problems.

Hope this helps.

Diane.

My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint. Erma Bombeck
Old Sunday 12th January 2003, 18:10   #3
Tim_in_indiana

Checked the status via ATT, and everything is fine. I can get on the web and download e-mail. I just can't connect via ftp. I tried doing it through ATT's login, but the same thing happens. The cable modem goes into hyperdrive, but no directory. I have rebooted both the modem and wireless network, but no change. I have contacted Linksys, but their fixes don't work either. They said to enter a set of port numbers which didn't work, and then asked me to enable port triggering (no change).

Help:-(,

Tim
Old Sunday 12th January 2003, 21:28   #4
Tim_in_indiana

Just tried disconnecting the router, and I can access my ftp site. Obviously the problem is in the router. Any takers??

Tim
Old Sunday 12th January 2003, 22:21   #5
digi-birder

Tim,

Are you seeing any error messages, or is it just hanging there doing nothing? Do you have a firewall running? As you mention that it's now working since you disconnected the router, has your IP address changed?

Diane.

My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint. Erma Bombeck
Old Sunday 12th January 2003, 22:26   #6
Green Fields
Professional Bug Remover
BF Supporter 2019

Perhaps your host doesn't like proxy servers? Thats basically what a router acts like i believe?

If you think that could be a possibility, try asking them.

Ollie

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th January 2003, 00:30   #7
Tim_in_indiana

The ftp logon works, but the directory never comes up. I have never had the xp firewall connected.

Diane, the server does seem to hang. I get a lot of activity, and then nothing, except the old Microsoft hour glass, which sits there forever without any change.

I don't mean to be a pest, but thanks for the help.

Tim
Old Monday 13th January 2003, 08:49   #8
digi-birder

Tim,

I'm stumped on this one. It's got to be the router. Try this web page and see if it helps:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...oot_nat_hw.htm

Item 1 in the list sounds like your problem, but I don't know if this is what the Linksys people have tried with you already. Searching the site for FTP also might give you some ideas. I couldn't see anything obvious, but you might spot something relevant.

Diane.

Old Tuesday 14th January 2003, 02:22   #9
Tim_in_indiana

Thanks Diane,

I'm going to check out the site. My son works for a company in Indianapolis, Indiana, as a server expert. I talked to him and he, at 25, loves to give me trouble for my computer shortcomings and mistakes;-). I hope to get things back up and running before I see him again. It's kind of fun now to have him tell ME I did a good job:-).

Have to love those kids;-),

Tim
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: