• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Cay / Wakodahatchee wetlands (1 Viewer)

Got a Yellow-rumped and the Green-winged Teals on Friday, and an American Widgeon (female) and as-yet-unidentified swallows today. Also better views of the Sora (squee!!).

There's a rumor that Viriginia Rail have been sighted, but good luck with that one - they're shyer than the Sora.

eta: also both days the Painted Buntings have been on teh feeder to the left near teh entrance when approaching the visitor's center. Still not as sunny a spot as Okeeheelee would be, but maybe a better view.

Last edited:
I hope the widgeon sticks around - I imagine with the winter chill that has been hitting us, we might be seeing quite a few more of those rarer sightings again (the widgeons showed up last year too). I would love to photograph the Virginia rail - those are a near-impossible bird to shoot. I've been away the past weekend and looking forward to getting back out there this weekend.

I may try something completely different saturday and start off at Daggerwing in West Boca - I've heard rumor the monk parakeets have been sticking around there lately, and a few interesting sightings have been reported there recently like pileated woodpeckers nesting, loggerhead shrike, smooth-billed anis, and various usuals. Since I had luck trying something new at Gumbo Limbo and Rutherford, maybe Daggerwing will be surprising too. I'll likely head to Green Cay after, to see what the cool weather's brought down.

Didn't see the widgeon Sunday...however it was a very good day for visiting the two wetlands. At Green Cay, the painted buntings were finally out clear and bold, in force, and I was able to get some nice shots of a male and female on the feeder (the one by the front entrance). The green-winged teals are out in some force too. Over at Wakodahatchee, I got some nice osprey shots, some good sora shots, and finally caught some more detail on the flying monk parakeets as they went over - now you can tell what they are! I haven't loaded or processed any shots yet, as I spent the weekend working on my vacation pics from the week before - hopefully I'll get through the bird shots in the next few days.

Finally got to my photos from last weekend...thought I'd share some of the firsts...here are the buntings I got over at Green Cay:

The male:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/131212123/original

The couple:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/131212124/original

And here is the squadron of monk parakeets that flew over Wakodahatchee:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/131212135/original

The sora who came out into the sun over at Wako:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/131212131/original

And though it isn't a bird...I had a very cool opportunity to catch an alligator having a sizeable fish for dinner:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/131212139/original

Stunning sots of the buntings. I simply cannot get that clarity and color with my camera as they always seem to be in the shade.

eta: and I've never seen teh alligators there do anything but lay there - good to know they can move:D

Good to know they can move...or BAD to know, if you're in the water too. ;)

Thanks on the buntings - indeed they were in the shade here too - it was extremely low light. I was using a fairly fast lens (F4) wide open, and had to crank up to ISO1600 to get those. That's pretty much the only way to really get a decent shot of them - fast lens, high ISO, shutter above 1/250.

BTW - at Green Cay yesterday, painted buntings were still hanging by the feeder - easy to spot reliably, and there all day. Hopefully, they'll stick around all winter. One male and two females seem to be the 'regulars' now.

Also at Green Cay yesterday was a first-time spotting at that park for me - ring-necked ducks! Beauties - three of them, two male and one female...and another male was over at Wakodahatchee. They're not uncommon ducks, but I've never spotted them at these two wetlands before. And I'e noticed the sandpipers coming back in town again - spotted the first few yesterday since last spring - a least sandpiper, and I believe a yellowlegs (have to go through my photos in the next few days, and should be able to ID it on the larger LCD screen).

Over at Wako, spoonbills were back again, in some force - at least 5...one up front was very active, spooning the water frequently for a meal, while two in the back kept flying around between two pond areas. Soras were also out in fairly high numbers - I spotted 4 easily in 1 walkaround. Common yellowthroats are sticking around in batches too...spotted them again yesterday.

Anhinga babies have been spotted at Wako...great blue herons should be popping out soon too...they're diligently sitting on their nests, arranging sticks.

Raptor activity is pretty high lately at both parks - northern harriers (spotted 3 at Green Cay), merlins, red-shoulder hawks, ospreys, kestrels, and possibly another type of hawk that I still need to blow up and see what the consensus is as I couldn't ID it from far away. Quite a few of each - at Wako, 4 ospreys were flying around above one pond, elbowing eachother for space in the sky. A gorgeous kingfisher was at Wako - I only saw him flying over a few times, but I was extremely jealous to see another photographer had caught it sitting pretty on a branch in the pond (I have never gotten a good closeup of these guys!).

That's the weekend update from the two parks.

Thanks Zackie. I'll have to check out Wako after the new year. It's been a long time since I've een to that one, I usually stick to Green Cay.

Wowie! Great day today (Friday, Xmas eve) at Wako and Green Cay! I decided to take advantage of the afternoon off of work to stop by the parks, still stewing over not getting that kingfisher shot the other photographer landed...and hoping maybe I'd get lucky and find him there again. Bingo! At Wako, he landed and posed for me beautifully, and I FINALLY got a proper shot of a kingfisher.

But the spotting today was excellent - things are really picking up. Besides the continuing regular sightings of the painted buntings, roseated spoonbills, and all the regulars...today also saw least and solitary sandpipers and lesser yellowlegs at Green Cay. At Wako, things were even better - along with the kingfisher, the limpkins returned, sora were everywhere, a strong possibility of a virginia rail sighting (though no photo), a beautiful display by an american bittern (good photos of him, finally - confirming I had indeed seen one in flight last week), very nice spoonie photo opportunities, a yellow-crowned night heron sitting prominently, a kildeer flyover (I thought they'd left the area), and the largest flock of monk parakeets I've ever seen (at least 30 in flight together, sweeping low over the ponds).

A lovely Christmas present from the wetlands.

I lied...the huge flock of parakeets weren't monks...I looked at them on my computer screen, blown up for greater detail, and that huge flock were black-hooded parakeets...another first time spotting for me. I've also managed to get an ID on a flying bird I caught last week - it was a northern rough-winged swallow...also a first that I've photographed.

Last edited:
Just about the strangest sighting I've yet had today at Wakodahatchee. Two white peacocks. Yep - two white peacocks. ?? That one had pretty much everyone today in a complete confusion as to how and why those were there!

Also, least bitterns returned at Wako along with the american bittern still there the past few weeks, two Egyptian geese were there, and royal terns fishing on the back pond.

BIG "thank you" to Zackiedawg for letting me tag along on his trips here Sunday.

He found us 6 - count them 6! Sora, and proved to be a lucky charm almost immediately when an otter showed up in a patch of sun on a bank.

Also plenty of warblers, including yellow-rumped, and a new bird for me - a Forster's Tern at Wako.

:t:

Most welcome - feel free to let me know anytime you're coming down on a weekend, as I'll probably be over there at some point or another each weekend unless I'm out of town. We certainly had a wealth of sora...it's almost amazing they're considered hard to find, when you see that many in one trip! But other times, I've looked long and hard and didn't find any, so we just got lucky - and that otter certainly was a fun sighting too.

I need to download and process my pics over the next few days, as I want to get some firm IDs on the warblers - make sure there weren't any other types mixed in there. And I've still got shots from earlier that I haven't processed, where I need to check if a woodpecker I photographed was a downy or a hairy.

Hi! I'm going to be in the Delray area from February 17-20th, and I was wondering what's likely to be there then. I went to Wakodahatchee and Green Cay last year, but that was in late March. More specifically, what warblers are likely to be around? Also, is there anywhere I should think of specifically for photography? I remember Wakodahatchee being very good last time. Thanks!

You should be quite good in February at both Green Cay and Wakodahatchee...it's in the heart of the winter season, so good selection of birds down this way - if you're lucky, there'll be a cold front in the days preceeding your visit, as whenever we get a cold front down here we see more birds arrive from farther north (cold front being a relative term - since we don't get 'cold' like you folks up north!).

Warbler/perching-wise, we've been seeing many palms, common yellowthroats, yellow-rumpeds, and the occasional pines and black and whites. As well as blue grey gnatcatchers, white-eyed vireo, eastern phoebe, purple martins, various swallows, painted buntings, cowbirds, grackles, blue jays, cardinals, brown thrasher, red-winged blackbird. Of course, we're chock-full-of waders too this time of year, plenty of raptors, and I've been seeing good woodpecker variety the past few weeks (downys, pileateds, and red-bellieds...and usually we start seeing northern flickers in Feb).

Feel free to ask any additional questions. And look for some of us locals on the weekend too!

Thanks for all the information! I would love to see a white-eyed vireo, since I think I missed them last spring. Also where would be best for painted buntings? That's a bird I've never seen, but I know they're one of the most colorful I'm likely to see. Thanks again!

Cardamom, for the painted buntings, they have been pretty regular at Green Cay the past month or two, and the best spot to see them is just at the front entrance - coming up the trail towards the nature center, you'll see a feeder set back about 15 feet to the left, just before getting to the center. That's where they've been quite common. The other possible spot is if you go around the boardwalk to the right - take the shorter trail through the pond, get to the main circle, and turn left, then go around until the first covered gazebo on your right...there's a feeder by that gazebo that also sometimes sees buntings.

Gloria, I heard about the 2nd peacock as well when I was there this weekend - so sad to hear - I did see the remaining one wandering around aimlessly, and you could tell it was missing its mate. So far, they don't know where they came from and don't have any plans to capture or chase the remaining one - they used to occasionally hang out inside the reserve, but spent far too much time in the parking lot - I can only hope the remaining one can decide to head over the hill and stay in the reserve area.

BTW - for a Green Cay/Wako update from this weekend - the Egyptian Geese are back at Wako the past few weeks, hanging out. The American Bittern has also been spotted again at Wako, after a few weeks of lying low - this time I spotted it around the circle to the right, before the first gazebo. And sora are still everywhere - really surprising numbers of them at both parks. 4 limpkins at Green Cay yesterday - so they're also out in force.

Hello Everyone I have not been birding for a few months but recently went to Green Cay and this is what I spotted. I stayed maybe about 45 minutes and did not even get to travel the whole place:

Tree swallow
Purple Martins
Green-winged Teal
Blue-winged Teal
Black-bellied whistling duck
Pie-billed Grebe
Sora
American Coots
Purple Gallinule
Common Moorhen
Anhinga
Mottled Duck
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Green Heron
Great Blue Heron
Tri-Colored Heron
Palm Warbler
Pine Warbler

Still have yet to spot the spoonbills or painted buntings hopefully I will be able to stay longer next time and have better luck
P.S. has anyone ever spotted the Bobcats there?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back