• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 100 Years Binoculars at Nikon Museum (1 Viewer)

AltaVista

Nikon celebrates 100 years of binoculars with a rather impressive exhibit at the Nikon Museum in Tokyo:

https://www.nikon.com/about/corporate/museum/events/index.htm#binoculars

There are some good photos of the exhibit posted on a Japanese website:

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/eventreport/1131953.html

As a long time binocular collector and user I do wish I had the time to pop over to Tokyo for a visit but it is not good timing for my work schedule or budget. What I wish more is that Nikon keeps innovating with new high performance binoculars in the future!

Stephanie S
Tucson AZ USA

BTW: Thanks for this great forum, my first post but have been a reader for some time.

Thanks from me too Stephanie. Very, very interesting.

I wonder if Nikon will do anything special at the British Bird Fair later this week to celebrate this important anniversary. I will be sure to report on it if they do.

And welcome to Birdforum Stephanie.

Lee

I for one am certainly hoping that Nikon will return to the alpha class for handheld binoculars in the near future now that the impressive (but somewhat flawed) EDG series is discontinued. I have not been able to use any of the Monarch HG glasses yet but they seem to fit competitively in the mid range class. Nikon has proven their extraordinary capability over the years and lately with the WX binoculars. I had a chance to use a friend's 7X50 WX for a while and never have I seen such a magnificent image. Totally impractical except for tripod use (or with other suitable support) . Absolute heavenly for astronomy!

My guess is that it may be a while before we see new Nikon alphas but one can hope.

Stephanie

Last edited:
I for one am certainly hoping that Nikon will return to the alpha class for handheld binoculars in the near future now that the impressive (but somewhat flawed) EDG series is discontinued. I have not been able to use any of the Monarch HG glasses yet but they seem to fit competitively in the mid range class. Nikon has proven their extraordinary capability over the years and lately with the WX binoculars. I had a chance to use a friend's 7X50 WX for a while and never have I seen such a magnificent image. Totally impractical except for tripod use (or with other suitable support) . Absolute heavenly for astronomy!

My guess is that it may be a while before we see new Nikon alphas but one can hope.

Stephanie

Stephanie I will ask about an EDG replacement at the Bird Fair but unless launch is imminent companies are often secretive about new product.

Lee

Images of Older Nikon Binoculars

There is another report of the exhibition that has lots of attached images - especially of older binoculars

Many of the images can be either clicked on to enlarge, and/ or dragged onto your desktop, opened and then further enlarged
Typically the detail is clear, and handily most of the models are labelled both in Japanese and English, with many including additional comments
See a selection below

It's on Richard Haw's Nikon camera repair site at: https://richardhaw.com/2018/09/17/report-nikon-binoculars/

John

Attachments

• Exhibit.jpg
    Exhibit.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Fuji Factory.jpg
    Fuji Factory.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1911 Victor 8x20 .jpg
    1911 Victor 8x20 .jpg
    169 KB · Views: 20
  • 1922 Orion 6x24.jpg
    1922 Orion 6x24.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 23
  • Timeline.jpg
    Timeline.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back