• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Sevilla (Spain) (1 Viewer)

Alexis

Hello, I live in the south of Spain, near Doñana. Please excuse my English. I joined SEO (the Spanish birding society) a few months ago, can’t remember exactly how or when I discovered this exciting hobby, but suddenly I found myself walking along the country, crossing creeks, wringing out my socks, listening to moving leaves over there, and finally seeing those wonderful creatures. I was astonished at first and still, although I grew up in the countryside I have never seen most of the birds!

The province of Sevilla is nice for birding: in half an hour by car there are mountains northward and mud flats southward, so you can choose between greater flamingos and woodpeckers. By the moment I got no great binoculars because of Santa Claus –I mean my wife. She decided to surprise me by Christmas and she really did by means of buying at a stores... a Minolta with zoom! When I unwrapped the case, she explained to me that a binos with zoom were second to none, “I was told by the shop assistant, you see”. What could I do? She is happy imagining me exploring anywhere at dawn, holding my zoom prodigy, and I pretend to be happy too… secretly dreaming of a Leica! Best wishes.

Hola Alexis,
Welcome to Birdforum.
Hmmm, 30 mins drive from Donana (& probably also Brazo del Este). Well I've got the Leica.......... but you've got the birds!
Eh..........fancy a trade? ;)

Hello Alexis. Thank you for taking a moment to say Hello and on behalf of the staff here at BirdForum.net, a warm welcome to you.

My son recently returned from a trip to Spain and told me to forget any other county I was dreaming of and to think only of Spain as it was the most beautiful country he has seen to date.

Now, about those bins. Do you suppose you could stash a pair of Leicas in the car with your wife none the wiser ? ;) Enjoy yourself here.

Hi Alexis and a warm welcome to Birdforum.

I have visited Donana on 6 occasions so far and never tire of the place. Not only that I have stayed in the Mountains in the Ronda area for the last three years and I must admit that I envy your location.

I hope you fully enjoy your Birdforum experience and we all would welcome your reports on days out birding that you do from time to time.

Regarding Leica bins, as good as they are, are not the only good bins on the market. There are many excellent bins that would do a good job for you so those bins might not as far away from your pocket as you think.

BTW your English is excellent.

Hi Alexis.
Welcome to Birdforum.
I am also living in Sevilla province, in Villamanrique, even closer to the marshes of Donana than you.
I am a bird tour guide and I spend most of my time in the areas around the Corredor Verde, Dehesa de Abajo, Brazo de la Torre, Lucio del Lobo, the JA Valverde Centre and the Cano de Guadiamar. My vehicle is quite distinctive and if you ever spot me out in the marshes come and say hello. It would be great to meet you.
By the way. There has been a Marabou Stork near the Cano de Guadiamar since the 5th of June that you should try to find. A very ugly bird, but a very rare one in Spain.

Enjoy your birdwatching.

Regards.
John.

Welcome, Alexis, from the USA!

There just can't be a better hobby/passion to have than watching birds. And you've found the best place possible to ask all those questions and get all those answers to feed that passion!!

At least you DO have binos -- and, apparently, a tolerant wife.

Steve G said:
Hola Alexis,
Welcome to Birdforum.
Hmmm, 30 mins drive from Donana (& probably also Brazo del Este). Well I've got the Leica.......... but you've got the birds!
Eh..........fancy a trade? ;)

Thank you Steve, you´re right with Brazo del Este, a recommended place here in the local SEO mail. Surely I will call on next Autumn. OK about the trade, you´ll sponsor the beers.

KCFoggin said:
Hello Alexis, a warm welcome to you.

My son recently returned from a trip to Spain and told me to forget any other county I was dreaming of and to think only of Spain as it was the most beautiful country he has seen to date.

Now, about those bins. Do you suppose you could stash a pair of Leicas in the car with your wife none the wiser ? ;) Enjoy yourself here.

Thank you and your son, a praise this big coming from the United States! See, I do love Winslow Homer.

No problem with my wife in the car: she never wakes up early on weekend, say nothing about joining me to spy birds. I´m only waiting the moment when she would forget the Minolta look, then I´ll purchase my treasure and feign irritation: Come on honey, what do you say! This is the one you gave me last Christmas, remember? Black, twin barrels with a focusing wheel here!

Reader said:
I have stayed in the Mountains in the Ronda area for the last three years and I must admit that I envy your location.

Regarding Leica bins, as good as they are, are not the only good bins on the market. There are many excellent bins that would do a good job for you so those bins might not as far away from your pocket as you think.

Thank you very much. I do like Ronda too, spent a winter there in a house by a creek -so cold! I always parked aiming at the sun: day after day thick ice on the front window.
The problem with my bins is not the pocket... but my wife´s self-respect.

John Butler said:
Hi Alexis. My vehicle is quite distinctive and if you ever spot me out in the marshes come and say hello

Thank you John, I will. Have you ever tried the famous La Janda? Once I drove there only to find nothing: no entrance, no paradise birds, just fences and ducks in the distance. Regards.

Beverlybaynes said:
Welcome, Alexis, from the USA! At least you DO have binos -- and, apparently, a tolerant wife.

Thank you from Spain! You are quite right: I do have an apparently tolerant wife.

Hi Alexis.

Yes. I've been to La Janda on many occassions. Excellent birding. Have seen both Great and Little Bustards, Common Cranes, Great White Egrets, Black-shouldered Kites and Stone Curlews. In fact my total list for La Janda is 168 species.

I can't understand why you couldn't find a way into the area. There are two entrances from the N-340. The first is at km 47 (signed for Presa de Celemin) and the other is at km 56, directly opposite the Venta de Retin and the turn-off to Zahara de los Atunes.

Regards from Donana.

John.

Tervetuloa to Birdforum, Alexis. Good to have more internationality here. A friend of mine just got married in Sevilla. I was invited there, but refused due to the time (beginning of June = best birding here; tried to persuade them to schedule their wedding later, say, one-two months ;) ). If I had checked the location (Donana - oh la la!), might have reconsidered...

Hi Karwin, I´d love to spend a winter in your country. Listen, if you do not like heat (I mean serious heat) better forget Sevilla and Doñana between June and October. This is a no tervetuloating climate! Regards

John Butler said:
There are two entrances from the N-340. The first is at km 47 (signed for Presa de Celemin) and the other is at km 56, directly opposite the Venta de Retin and the turn-off to Zahara de los Atunes

Thank you John, I´ll try again. So you didn´t find a locked gate half a mile after passing the creek? Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back