• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (12 Viewers)

I have spotted several times now a beautiful male bullfinch foraging at the top end of Salwarpe village.

He is generally spotted on the overgrown hedge on the right hand side of the road as you head past the village hall up to the first drive on the right (The Granary, Tithe Barn etc).

keep your eyes open.

I think this may be a regular spot as I have seen them in this area several times over the years.

In early Feb, one tree in that area had no less than 7 Bullfinches feeding on the buds.

something for the dark nights

Just posted some letters in Salwarpe (walked down village) and came across 1 x great crested newt female and I mature toad on road heading towards pond. Both approx. 50m away but heading the right way.

Any wet and mild night about now is a good one to spot such beasties on the road in the village by the pond, often plodding along the kerb which is too high to climb.

Most are in pond breeding right now however.

Triturus

A Peregrine flew over Coney Meadow yesterday morning.

20+ Chiffchaffs on the patch.

Kestrel and 5+Yellowhammers at Tapenhall yesterday.

Salwarpe Village Newts

Was mild and wet last night and found this little fella on road in Salwarpe looking for pond. Note head up position is thought to be caused by sniffing the air for a pond. See silver/white strip on tail and crest which has flopped on back (it is just a flap of skin that stands up in the water).

He may be too late however as the newt in the water is a female laying eggs.

Enjoy.

Regards

Triturus

Attachments

• newt on road.jpg
    newt on road.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 76
  • egg laying.jpg
    egg laying.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Had a quick walk around the patch to see how much damage done by the wind looks like the maintenance felling has worked only smallish branches down. As for birds 2 Mute Swan different numbered rings to the pair at Ladywood, Canada goose taking a rest, Coal Tits by the end of the wall(other side of canal) .Mary spotted some Frogs that had been washed down a drain she put some sticks in for rafts.

Attachments

• IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    699.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    488.4 KB · Views: 76
More newts in Salwarpe

Was mild and wet last night and found this little fella on road in Salwarpe looking for pond. Note head up position is thought to be caused by sniffing the air for a pond. See silver/white strip on tail and crest which has flopped on back (it is just a flap of skin that stands up in the water).

He may be too late however as the newt in the water is a female laying eggs.

Enjoy.

Regards

Triturus

Blimey first day of the month and I found this thing wandering down the village! what a whopper.

;)

Attachments

• Massive salwarpe newt.jpg
    Massive salwarpe newt.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 77
A single Swallow at Tapenhall - my first of the year and 5 months and 3 days since my last one in November - in the same area. Great to see him or her back.

8 Sand Martins roosted in Coney reedbed this evening.
2 pairs of Lapwings at Copcut - the males displaying and females scraping - their chances of successful breeding must be close to zero, however, which is really sad.
A Snipe flew from Coney reedbed earlier and several Water Rails were calling.
Several Yellowhammers in various places over the past few days - Tapenhall Farm offers the best viewing opportunities.
Lots of Meadow Pipits on the move.
Also Coal Tits, 2 Kingfishers, lots of Chiffchaffs, one singing Blackcap, Grey Wagtails, Herons, Ravens, displaying Sparrowhawks, Kestrel, Buzzards, Nuthatch , Mistle Thrushes and all the other usuals.
Butterflies included Brimstone and Peacock.

Happy to get my first swallow and sand martins of the year today,a count of 41 different birds today.The Morhen on the nest was reported to have a chick by a angler near by.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    761.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    613.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 70
House Martin at Tapenhall plus at least 3 Swallows in the area. Small Tortoiseshells, Small White, Brimstones and Peacocks.

Bats

Over the past few evenings, it has been warm enough to tempt a few bats out of their hibernation. So far I've seen a couple of small agile ones which fly quite low and weave around. These are most likely Pipistrelles.

Last night, however, we saw one which flew higher and on a straighter course. The behaviour and appearance was immediately reminiscent of a Noctule except that it appeared sIgnificantly smaller than most Noctules. I guess there must be some size variation? It did cross my mind, however, that it could have been a (much rarer) Liesler's Bat (AKA Lesser Noctule) - I think these have been recorded at Upton Warren and there are also records from Hartlebury. I guess this would be difficult to prove without a bat-detecting device, however.

Last edited:
16 Sand Martins roosted this evening plus a dozen or so Pied Wagtails.
Earlier, 44 Linnets in the setaside field was a good count by recent standards.
Still lots of Mipits around.
Only one singing Blackcap still.
Singing Yellowhammer at Copcut Rise.
Commas, Brimstones, Small Torts and Peacocks widespread.
Several Pipistrelle at dusk.

All 3 hirundine sp. around Porter's Mill today and a pair of Grey Wagtails plus Kingfisher and 2 Cormorants. Small parties of Meadow Pipits and a singing Yellowhammer along 'Jacob's Ladder'.
Lots of butterflies including one Speckled Wood.
3 singing Blackcaps around Salwarpe / Droitwich.
A noticeable reduction in Fieldfares and Redwings over the last couple of days.

9 Sand Martins over Coney at dusk but they weren't seen to drop into the reeds.
Several Pipistrelles feeding along the canal.

My first Willow Warbler of the year - singing quietly by New Mill sewage works, Ladywood, this morning (often a good spot for early WW's in the past). Swallow over there also.

A Little Owl showed well nearby on a pollarded ash tree.

A few more Blackcaps singing now - along the canal and at Harford Hill.

bit of an evening stroll,between Ladywood and Porters mill, Birds of note Goldcrest calling, 2 Grey wagtails, GSW, 36 Linnets

Attachments

• IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0737 (2).JPG
    IMG_0737 (2).JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
No Sand Martins roosted this evening - but 6 Swallows did instead.

In fact, no Sand Martins seen on the patch today but Swallows definitely increasing and becoming more widespread with 4+ at Porter's Mill and 2 at Ladywood.

A Lapwing flew over towards Westwood this morning.

Further Blackcaps around Porter's Mill and Mildenham Mill.

2 Snipes flew out of Coney reedbed this evening.

A Noctule flew over at dusk.

A decent-sized early spring roost this evening comprised 6 Swallows, 29 Sand Martins and a few Pied Wagtails.
1 House Martin over Copcut this evening plus Kestrel.
A Peregine took a kill over Coney mid-afternoon - a dark bird with dangling feet - probably a Moorhen.
Ravens feeding young in the nest.
My first Orange Tip of the year at Harford Hill this afternoon.
A Snipe flew out of the reedbed at dusk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back