• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (1 Viewer)

Info is taken from birdguides and the Durham bird forum

Just had a look at the Durham Bird forum. As i said earlier, there are not many cornwall birders that use BF. You would be suprised how many birders dont even know about BF. Most use the website and Birdline sw and RBA to put news out so it doesnt get duplicated on here. I spend hours updating Cornwall Birding and just dont have the time to duplicate sightings on here i'm afraid. I'm surprised no one started a Cornwall Birding thread on BF before this one. The Durham thread has been going since may 2005. The other thing is there is also the Cornwall section on the county by county thread. Like the Durham one, that isn't used much either.

Rame Area.
30+ Meadow Pipit,20 Pied Wagtail,1 Yellow Wagtail,20+ Linnet,20+ Goldfinch,2 Kestrel,and 3 Buzzard.

Finally got out to do some birding this afternoon (probably only the second time since June!!)

Penlee Point

1 Balearic Shearwater
1 Great Skua
1 Juv. Yellow-legged Gull
4 Guillemot
12 Kittiwake
72 Gannet
1 Peregrine

Between 3 - 5pm

Darrell

Whaker Quey

One Hobby chasing Swallows in the morning, no sign of the Osprey but had good views of a Black Kite beying mobbed by gulls has a full crop this is the second one i have seen in this area in the last week could be the same one.

Attachments

• IMG_6673_1.jpg
    IMG_6673_1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6680_1.jpg
    IMG_6680_1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Hobby0055_1.jpg
    Hobby0055_1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 89
Great find Tav and the Hobby to boot!
A had a Merlin at College Res. yesterday but that won't raise quite as many eyebrows!
Thanks. Henerz.

Yes a nice find the phon has not stopped ringing i saw a Black Kite last week not far away might be the same one will be back there in the morning might get the Osprey back with luck.

Waker Quey and Torrpoint

Osprey at 8.45 and 13.30hrs,one Spoonbill and 2 Arctic Terns and Goldcrest herd.

Torpoint 11 Sandwich Terns 27 Med Gulls.

Black Kite 17 30 hrs.

Last edited:
Hi Tav,

I see the Kite was reported again this evening. Whereabouts is it being seen? I might consider a trip down from Exeter tomorrow afternoon if it's likely to still be in the area.

All the best

Ken

To be honest there are very few Cornish birders. There are Cornwall birders but most are not cornish (like me, Yorkshireman!)

Just noticed that according to the Atlas website, only three 10K squares in Cornwall are covered so far for tetrad visits. Can this be true ? Seems to suggest either there are indeed very few Cornwall birders, or they're only interested in rarities.

Dave (can't help being a Devonian)

Waker Quey

Osprey and Black Kite seen but a distance by outher people and not by me.
2 Sparrowhawk.2 Perry.8 Buzzard,200+ Swallows and House Martin,1 Greenshank,20 Redshank,1 Adult Spoonbill,50 Canada G,7 Grt Crested Grebe,5 Raven,2 Jay,40+ BH gull.

Just noticed that according to the Atlas website, only three 10K squares in Cornwall are covered so far for tetrad visits. Can this be true ? Seems to suggest either there are indeed very few Cornwall birders, or they're only interested in rarities.

Dave (can't help being a Devonian)

Ah but we've been involved in our own 10 year atlas project covering all the breeding and wintering species which we started in 1999 and which covers every 2k square.

http://www.erccis.co.uk/birdatlas/index.htm

Darrell

Waker Quey this morning

Osprey sat in dead tree with a Sea Trout.
One Adult Spoonbill.

Attachments

• IMG_6902_1.jpg
    IMG_6902_1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6913_1.jpg
    IMG_6913_1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6901_1.jpg
    IMG_6901_1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back