• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding the Gambia (1 Viewer)

Kalispera

Hi all,

Is anyone else going to the Gambia 18-25 January 2010???

Or, is anyone going in the near future or has been recently???

I'll be there 22-29.12; I'll do a report once I'm back, but as I shan't be travelling around much whilst there I doubt it'll be all that helpful if you're looking for guidance (if you are, there are already several trip reports and a useful thread of tips and advice on this site).

I was there a couple of weeks back, had a fab time, with a list of 215 in 6 days, including 27 raptors.

See my message on Nils K's thread about prices, if you are looking for a guide I can heartily recommend Mustafa Manneh.

I'm going tonight for a week :) but going back out 21 Jan till end of April :))

I am seriously envious !

This will be our sixth visit, we have a very reliable guide in Yaya Barry.
It was more out of interest if anyone was on the Manchester flight that day.

Ooops, my mistake. I'm still very happy to recommend Mustafa to anyone else seeking a guide though!

Have a great time!

Bird guides in Gambia

Just returned from a week of bird photography in Gambia and had booked Yaya Barry for 3 half days after seeing several recommendations. Met up with Yaya on arrival and he asked for payment in advance £210. I thought nothing of this in light of his reputation and since I had heard that guides may need the cash to pay for a rental car. But in retrospect it was a bad move. The first day Yaya did not show up and sent his assistant Modo instead who explained that Yaya was having stomach problems. The second day Yaya showed up and he drove us to Marakissa where he demonstrated that he is a good guide with an eye for photography. But the third day he did not show up again, instead sent another bird guide Dawda Barry who said Yaya had something else he had to take care of. So while Yaya may be a good guide, we did not get what we paid for. The good news is there are many excellent guides available who don't charge an arm and a leg.

I can recommend Dawda Barry who is an excellent guide and managed to find us some outstanding photo opps at several different places. Dawda is based at the Kotu Creek Bridge and can be reached at [email protected] or cellphone +220 778 7051

I am in the process of posting my trip photos at http://www.pbase.com/kingfisher/birds_of_gambia

Last edited:
ive just returned from the gambia and was there for 4 weeks including 1 week trip inland what a great place it is for birds ,but sadly it is changing for the worst.even the sennegambia hotel has had the trees and bush s trimmed and dosnt have the bird life it used to have .
As for 210 pounds for 3 half day trips this is way way to much . Also some experienced guides like yaya get greedy and they will also send a trainee in his place , there are that many guides at the bridge to choose from and not that many birders you could get bargain half day trips ,having said this ive stuck with the same guide for the last 8 years and just pay what i think the trip is worth

sadly gambia is changing fast

I have just returned from a trip to The Gambia, and would very much like to recommend a fantastic guide, whos name is Dawda Barry. He works from Kotu Bridge, and is a gentle, polite and friendly man, who is completely intent on showing as many birds to you as possible. We saw everything, from Vultures to Egrets, Nightjars and owls, bee-eaters, he couldn't have done more for us. He carries a scope which is great and enabled us to see a huge amount of detail on the birds. He charged a good rate, very fair, around £35 a day which included a taxi, and I would be happy to chat with anyone who would be interested in hiring him on [email protected]. I can contact him directly by phone, text or email if you wish to book in advance.

mustafa a great guide, not only a good bird finder he keeps other so called guides from pestering every time you stop. he got Finfoot and Egyptian plover no problem.
Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back