• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Vacations 2018 (1 Viewer)

We're heading back to Mull for Easter week. As we have the cottage from Easter Saturday from 4 p.m. I've booked an extra night staying on Ardnamrchan so can spend Good Friday on the peninsular ��
If you don't mind, would you let us know how you get on Rich?:t:

Rich

"my 7 year old wants to see a Caper"

Don't we all - so does this 57 year old!!!!!!!!

He may have a long wait so hope he is better at taking disappointments than me :-C

He may have a long wait so hope he is better at taking disappointments than me :-C
Lol. He came with me last year and didn't stop talking the whole way round:-O. He's since perfected his Capercaillie dance so we shouldn't have any problems next year:-O

Rich

So we dropped the boys off at school yesterday and headed down to Dorset. Noticing the Sat-Nav was taken us near Marshfield it would have been rude not to take a short detour. At the corner of Rushmead Lane was a large flock of Corn Buntings, along with quite a few Linnets.

Next it was straight down to Dorset, stopping at Wareham for supplies. We've not been around here before but it looks a cracking area. We wandered down to Arne for a couple of hours and really enjoyed. Not much birdwise but a beautiful spot. Others had heard Woodlarks on the approach road but unfortunately we did not. Couldn't locate any Dartfords either. Did see a whole heap of Avocets, Black-Tailed Godwits and a Spoonbill. Also picked out a Sika Deer through the trees. Didn't have enough time to do Arne any justice whatsoever.

After too short a time we left to find the accommodation. This turned out to be very comfortable, with the bonus of having a herd of 20 Sika come out of the forest as dusk fell. Really enjoyed watching them with a glass of cider.

Had a better day birding today but I'll write it up when I get home tomorrow.

Rich

So on Day 2 we got up fairly early and headed West. Thanks to the tips above we were arriving at Broadsands in good time. We would have been earlier but the traffic in Dorset can be fairly atrocious - not helped by the fact it was half-term in England.

Getting out of the car there was a birder already there focussing in on a tree nearby. Wandering over assuming it was where the Buntings were I was happily wrong. Got treated to some excellent views of my second Firecrest of the year.:t:

From here it was up to the top part of the car park where 2 other birders were also present. Sure enough. here were the Cirl Buntings. The males looked particularly striking in the Devon sunshine.

Attachments

• IMG_5113.jpg
    IMG_5113.jpg
    779 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5114.jpg
    IMG_5114.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5119.jpg
    IMG_5119.jpg
    834 KB · Views: 73
We were both really impressed with the area at Broadsands - might have to come back with the boys. Scanning the bay gave a few GCG's, a GND and a distant year tick in the form of a RTD. A few Common Dolphins were also way off in the distance in front of a kayak. Later, on checking the Devon Birds website, the guy had a camera and posted some fantastic photos. I'd recommend checking the website.

The weather being so nice Sars suggested heading South for a walk around the headland. A passer by we were talking to had said it was worth the short walk. Up on the headland were the birders we'd met at the Cirl Bunting site. They mentioned a Black-necked Grebe had just gone past and with a bit of searching good views were had - another year tick:t: Another GND was also present along with a Grey? Seal.

Still having a bit of time to kill before we had to be in Axeminster we headed to RSPB Matford Marsh. I was assuming there'd be a visitor centre or, at the very least, car parking. I'm not saying they aren't there, but I certainly couldn't find them. Parking therefore proved to be a real nad ache. I eventually found a tiny pull-in overlooking the reserve, and set the scope up.

Scanning through a flock of c200 Wigeon, standing in Wigeon high grass, was quite a task. At one point, something startled them and they put their heads up. I scanned as many as I could but to no avail. Then I had a bit of luck when most of the flock were spooked, and they flew into the water. The drake American Wigeon immediately stood out. To say I was landed was a bit of an uderstatement:king: 2 lifers in one morningB :)

Now it was off to Axeminster. I can totally recommend the River Cottage Canteen here. The Charcuterie platter to share was delicious, and the pork chop, and belly pork to follow were top notch. Sars went for a veggie option:eek!: which she thoroughly enjoyed

Being so full, I'm slight ashamed to say that my motivation to go birding was beginning to wane. This wasn't helped by the volume of traffic heading back toward Wareham. We did manage a short walk around the Morden Bog area though having been recommended it by the birders at Broadsands.

Dipped on Dartfords again, but thoroughly enjoyed our hour or so walk. Did manage a very nice view of a Green Woodpecker, and a flock of Fieldfares. Calling it a day, I retired with some Bath Ales to watch a very mediocre game of rugby. The Ospreys finally gaining a bonus point win over the Lions.

Hi Paul. Managed a Caper in Axminster of all places:-O

Attachments

• e2eda6b8-2d1e-49e4-8352-98caf10332d6.jpg
    e2eda6b8-2d1e-49e4-8352-98caf10332d6.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 58
Rich
Glad you got your Cirl buntings. They really are worth the trip. I did a few days down there a couple of years ago just for that reason. (The Portland great spotted cuckoo was a nice bonus too. ) saw a few last October too at Labrador bay when on a family holiday in Brixham. Keep up the good work.

Rich
Glad you got your Cirl buntings. They really are worth the trip. I did a few days down there a couple of years ago just for that reason. (The Portland great spotted cuckoo was a nice bonus too. ) saw a few last October too at Labrador bay when on a family holiday in Brixham. Keep up the good work.

I dipped on that Cuckoo:eek!:

Rich

So the last morning was spent doing some touristy stuff as the OH was with me. Parked up at Lulworth Cove and wandered along the coastal path to Durdle Door. Was quite impressive tbh. Almost as nice as the Gower. Had some good views of Rock Pipits and Stonechats.

To break the journey up home;) we stopped off at Ham Wall and Rich's Cider. Ham Wall was superb as usual. Harsh Marriers, Water Rails, Bitterns (superb view of one individual), GWE and a Bearded Tit were the highlights.

Attachments

• IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 71
Well Ardnamurchan is coming up on Saturday so it's good to see the Black Duck has been seen again today. Does anyone know if Cresties can be seen on the Peninsula? I can see Gordon mentions them in the first edition of his book. Also, do you think we'll be too early for the Crakes? Was thinking of heading over to Iona one of the days.

Cheers,

Rich

Does anyone know if Cresties can be seen on the Peninsula? I can see Gordon mentions them in the first edition of his book. Also, do you think we'll be too early for the Crakes? Was thinking of heading over to Iona one of the days.

Cheers,

Rich

I'd have thought probably not much if any chance of Cresties these days. I don't know anybody who's ever claimed to see them there, anyway: whereas I've met a few who have seen Red Squirrel there and I've never managed that, even with accurate directions for recent information! It's not like Cresties are hard in Speyside. I'd give that a miss and concentrate on the things that the place is known for.

Speaking of which I'd have thought that in any other year you'd have at least half a chance of Corncrake on Iona by next week but everything's so late this year, who knows. It's a better shot than Crested Tit, for sure.

Best of luck with the Black Duck, fingers crossed for you!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back