• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any idea? Western Panama (1 Viewer)

Coati

Yo Vi Quetzales!
Hi

Taken just outside Boquete in the Chirriqui Highlands

Personally not a clue lol

Attachments

• _MG_1215.jpg
    _MG_1215.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 113
Thanks guys

Actually no vocal and didnt hang around.
Was skulking in dense /dark undergrowth which suggests the latter, location 5 km south of Boquette at say 4500 feet
I wish photo was better and only one taken - sorry :)
lets see..and thx for the suggestions

Lots of ctrl++++ showed me a darker cheek crescent and a toothed looking upper mandible when I first saw the pic. Head shape/size also looked better for a Piranga tanager than an ant-tanager to my eyes. The habitat on the image doesn't look dark undergrowth at all to me but fairly high thick branches with lots of light behind, but if you saw it skulking in dense dark undergrowth I may be wrong.

Hi

Well I see what you mean about the light, I had to overexposure harshly to get a shot, but yes I guess there was light behind so not as dark as I thought. Under that growth is a fairly dark deep stream bed and the bird came up from there and I snapped it, but I had been watching it in the dark area.

thanks for your help, I may see him again :)

Rich.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back