• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Easy separation of Purple and Lesser Purple Emperor (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Last year I was struggling with the separation of Apatura ilia and Apatura iris when only upperwing images were possible. the projection in the white bar on the hind wing of apatura is said to be diagnostic but I have found several Lessers with a small projection and this can be confusing, see the insect in my second post below.

It was pointed out to me pers com that a very substantial, bright orange, tip to the antennae is diagnostic of ilia, this is a feature not mentioned in any of the literature that I have although it seems apparent in the illustration in Collins.

I took these pictures today in St Petersburg, Russia. The first two pics are of iris and there are three separate ilia, the feature is consistant albeit a small sample.

Andy

Attachments

• RSCN3909.jpg
    RSCN3909.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 28
  • RSCN3917.jpg
    RSCN3917.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 29
  • RSCN3930.jpg
    RSCN3930.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 26
  • RSCN3944.jpg
    RSCN3944.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 29
  • RSCN3945.jpg
    RSCN3945.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
This is an ilia showing a small protrusion in the white bar on the hindwing of the type that has confused me in the past.

Though it's not as pronounced as on apatura it can be enough to cause a question mark over ID to the inexperienced when the underwing isn't seen.

Andy

Attachments

• RSCN3875.jpg
    RSCN3875.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
How reliable is the feature of the orange eye showing on the forewing in lesser and not on "regular" purple emperor?

This 'eye' can be absent on Lesser, epsecially when a bit worn. Even on worn individuals that I've seen, the antennae remain bright and obvious.

Lesser is much commoner here than Purple and the presence of Purple here probably represents a slight Northward expansion. This map shows approximately the range as given in Collins, (Tolman and Lewington) south of the red line and the circled area is where we are. They must be showing up in S Finland now?

https://maps.yandex.ru/?um=dmZZA0fj-10srRbnNUQd425TvU8v1pnT&l=map&ll=27.760549,58.925395&z=7

We also have breeding Araschnia levana, Map Butterfly which in Collins has a very similar given range as Purple Emperor so another Northerly expansion.

I think there is a lot to learn about European Russia, it's hugely neglected in the literature for most things due to the practical difficulties of travel and access.

Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back