• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (38 Viewers)

Norfolk bird report

What's with the new order of species, confusing or what!
I see the cory's shearwater seen from sheringham 15th Sept was not accepted, it was seen well by about 45 people ?

I picked up a copy of the report for a friend y'day who said I could take a look at it before hand. Agree the order is confusing which makes it not so user friendly. Am confused by finding a picture of a Pied Wheatear at Horsey (which incidentally seems not to have been reported to BBRC) as I can't remember seeing it in the recent BBRC report. Not only that I cannot find Pied Wheatear in the systematic list- at least it is not near to Northern Wheatear and asume the new order would at least have it nearby.

Joan

Nice Rough-leg shots Penny. I've had sightings of at least 12 Buzzards in north-east Norfolk during the last week and all were Commons... :C

The Pied Wheatear was at Horsey from 14th - 15th October 2009.

James

Titchwell October 25th

Today's highlights

Waxwing - 55 west during the day
Little auk - 2+ on sea throughout the day
Twite - 21 feeding on brackish marsh
Lapland bunting - 1 west
Spoonbill - juvenile on fresh marsh late morning only
Short eared owl - 1 hunting over saltmarsh
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Long tailed duck - 1 offshore
Spotted redshank - 6 on saltmarsh

Paul

Wax(w)ing lyrical

In the golden light'ning of the sunken sun” was how we were waiting, at Cley beach, for a bird sp (?albatross, giant petrel?) to fly past- having northered from Suffolk at the speed of a falcon. Of course, it didn’t. Whatever the observers saw- and, it seems, they were almost completely nonplussed- it was just too far.

Before venturing out properly, a quick sashay to the shelter (in search of Waxwing info) gave me 3 Little Auks quite close and a most unsatisfactory (too far when I got on to it) pale morph Pom with full spoons.

In Wells Woods, from midday, I quickly got lucky. Walking along the main path the other side of the water from the caravan park, I chanced on two visiting birders, who had found 6 Waxwings (2 in LH photo), high in a tree. Slightly oddly, they were flycatching. (No, silly, the birds!) Soon, they flew off towards the Dell.

In the Dell, I flushed a Woodcock and, this time, saw 2 large female Bullfinches, calling ‘normally’. Later, RGM said he thought these birds, which he’d been seeing on and off for some time, were their size after gorging on the bumper berry crop.

Annoyingly, more Redpoll sp flew over (see yesterday), again without perching.

Two pix indicate some of the fabulous woodland scenes available today, in superb late autumn weather. That blue sky !

Whilst enjoying an ice cream on Wells Quay later, c25 Waxwings flew west over the harbour, accompanied by a couple of Starlings.

Cley village donated 6 more Waxwings (1 in RH photo).

Attachments

• 021sm.jpg
    021sm.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 003sm.jpg
    003sm.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 93
  • 009sm.jpg
    009sm.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 083psesm.jpg
    083psesm.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 122
Deservedly true fame, at last !

"Top bird photographer Penny Clarke"

It's now official, therefore.

Penny has been awarded this accolade, which has just appeared on Lee's website:
http://uk400clubrarebirdalert.blogspot.com/

Next (in ascending order of importance): the New Year's Honours List ? Sainthood ? A joint stand with Simon at The Fair ?

CONGRATULATIONS - as sung by Sir Cliff. (I couldn't think of an appropriate one by MJ.)

Next (in ascending order of importance): the New Year's Honours List ? Sainthood ? A joint stand with Simon at The Fair ?

CONGRATULATIONS - as sung by Sir Cliff. (I couldn't think of an appropriate one by MJ.)

If "el-president" LGRE says so, then it must be true!! Having said that some of the bluetail and pallas warbler photos are well worthy of publication!!!

They are even worth paying for!! shame that some birding magazines do not pay photographers!!!

Keep up the good work.

Thank you John - very sweet of you to highlight Lee's posting!:t:

Definately don't class myself as a top photographer, but am working on it!;)

Just wish I could do photography full time - now that would be awesome!

Oh and re "Next" - most definately a joint stand with Simon King would be preferably OR better still Simon's camera assistant!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Sorry, forgot to say yesterday, my mother had 25 Waxwings by the Glebe School, Hunstanton yesterday (Monday) morning.

Doing a late shift at work tomorrow (12pm start) so I can go birding in the morning!!!:t::t:

From the Nar Valley Website:

"Today, Tuesday 26th October 2010, at 8-45am a single Raven just to the north of Flitcham Village, map reference O/S landranger sheet 132 TF 729267, being harrased by Crows and Rooks........"

More snippets on my blog

Last edited:
Welney glossy ibis

Showing well north of A1101 on Welney Washes. From the junction leading to Welney WWT, go over the bridge and park.

I saw the bird on a pool a couple of hundred yards, up the road, on the washes towards Welney village and Wisbech. Right hand side. On a pool and then on the grass, where it shook the rain from its wings and walked on.

Put on the bird by a blonde lady birder. Not it wasn't who you were thinking of but a mother and her daughter who had visited the WWT reserve.

I took the attached shot yesterday from (appropriately enough) Teal Hide at Cley. The Green-winged Teal had just come out on the pager as being in front of this hide and this fairly distant bird was the only candidate I could find.

It looks like a male halfway through its moult out of eclipse plumage.

Dave

Attachments

• Green-winged Teal  101026 DSCN3382.jpg
    Green-winged Teal 101026 DSCN3382.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 235
Titchwell October 27th

Today's highlights

Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Twite - 20 on brackish marsh
Greenshank - 1 on brackish marsh
Velvet scoter - 2 offshore
Water pipit - 2 on fresh marsh
Long tailed duck - 2 offshore
Waxwing - 7 west
Jack snipe - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Waxwings in Norwich

Prompted by the message of 16 waxwings at Temple Road. I got on my bike, with bins and camera and went off in search of them.

Relocated at Clare Close in tall trees. Off Waterloo Road near Magdalen Road.

Record shot taken on auto setting which won't make me a top photographer.

Attachments

• Waxwings Clare Close off Waterloo Road Norwich 27 Oct 2010.jpg
    Waxwings Clare Close off Waterloo Road Norwich 27 Oct 2010.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 207

Users who are viewing this thread

Back