• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backyard Birding, 1st time digiscoper, interesting visitor? (1 Viewer)

b1cycl3r1d3r

Recently got into birdwatching as a relaxing hobby. Trying to control high BP. Anyway got really interested in digiscoping thing, jumped in head first bought a pretty nice set-up Nikon ED82A, 30xW DS EP, all the adapters neccesary to connect camera Nikon CP4300, remote shutter release. Anyway pictures aren't the greatest as this was literally my 1st time out and w/in ~1/2 hr. this guy flies into my yard. I've seen kestrels before and Red Tails out in the country. Or at least what I thought looked like
Red Tails. I'm new but I'm sure this is neither. Could someone help with identification. My guess is a Coopers Hawk. As for my location Villa Park, IL. if that helps.
I know I didn't frame it very well, probably used too much zoom and it's not the clearest picture, but as a start I would still like too know what was terrorizing the songbirds in my yard.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCN1523 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1523 (Small).JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCN1524 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1524 (Small).JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN1525 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1525 (Small).JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCN1526 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1526 (Small).JPG
    28 KB · Views: 223
Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Looks like a Cooper's to me but let's see what others say.

Just a hint. When you are photographing a bird you don't know, it is always best to try and get the whole bird in the frame. Makes identifying it a bit easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back