• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wireless repeater/booster (1 Viewer)

Brian Bullough

DIGIDOPE
Can I install a wireless repeater (3pin plug type)to boost my signal and also they seem to have an RJ45 port can I plug in an ethernet cable to this for another computer that has no wireless, or are these for input only ,
So I would have boosted wiFi for desktop and ethernet connection for laptop.
Thanks in advance for any help offered
brian

Hello Brian,

I am not sure of which model you are writing. Is the "3 pin plug" for the mains?

If you have a Mac, you can set internet sharing on your computer to act as a base station. The signal can enter from one source, like wi-fi, and feed to another outlet like the ethernet port or vice versa but not using one as a source and as an input.

My experience is wth Mac airports. You can ave a base station, like the Airport Express or Extreme and have a repeater, like the Airport express, but it must all be Apple hardware. The Airport express may be just output. The Airport Extreme, and the Time Capsule have both ethernet input and outputs, WAN and LAN, so it can be used as a router. As I do not use those, please ascertain that I am correct about that.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Sorry to hijack this: if I want to have the distal end of such powerline adaptors be a second hub for wireless, what do I need? is there a powerline adaptor that also has a built in antenna, or do I need a different box for that?

thanks
Niels

Sorry to hijack this: if I want to have the distal end of such powerline adaptors be a second hub for wireless, what do I need? is there a powerline adaptor that also has a built in antenna, or do I need a different box for that?

thanks
Niels

There are powerline ethernet+wifi units available, for instance this Linksys:

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Powe...id=1469927714&sr=8-1&keywords=Linksys+PLWK400

Do note that the unhappiness percentage for this unit is relatively high, so you should look around, there are surely better units on offer by now.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back