• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony Nex 5 (1 Viewer)

Neil

I'm having fun with the Nex 5 with the 16/2.8 P lens. It's the camera I always have around my neck these days ( it used to be the Panasonic GF1) with the Canon G10 on my hip. I've got used to the Menu system. I like the Sweep Panorama Mode and use it a lot. Great for including friends in the landscape.
The flip up LCD is big and sharp and great for getting down for macros.
The waterlily shots were taken this way with the camera at water level and the strap in the water.
I've got the Japanese adapter for Nikon to Nex and the last photo was taken the the Zeiss 28/2.0 Distagon lens (Nik)
Neil

Sony Nex 5 and Sony 16/2.8 P lens

Hong Kong,
July 2010

Attachments

• waterlily Nex5_DSC1847.jpg
    waterlily Nex5_DSC1847.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 540
  • ferry pier lamma pan Nex5 B&W_DSC2220.jpg
    ferry pier lamma pan Nex5 B&W_DSC2220.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 317
  • main scrape shenzhen Nex5 s_DSC1711.jpg
    main scrape shenzhen Nex5 s_DSC1711.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 329
  • shek o club dean pan Nex5_DSC2229.jpg
    shek o club dean pan Nex5_DSC2229.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 274
  • wanchai harbour zeiss28 nex5_DSC3750.jpg
    wanchai harbour zeiss28 nex5_DSC3750.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 420
I've also tested the Hasselblad 50/4 (Zeiss) with Nikon adapter on the Nex 5 yesterday. This is an old version of the lens so the coatings are not really up to modern digital cameras but I quite like the look anyway.
Neil

Hong Kong,
China.
July 2010

Attachments

• hass50 sony nex5 tripod IMG_3347.jpg
    hass50 sony nex5 tripod IMG_3347.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 540
  • kowloon hass50 nex5_DSC3829_DSC3860.jpg
    kowloon hass50 nex5_DSC3829_DSC3860.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 449
Hi neil, how long has it taken you to get used to the menu? It certainly seems to a very capable camera indeed, I do like the image taken with the hasselblad lens.

Hi neil, how long has it taken you to get used to the menu? It certainly seems to a very capable camera indeed, I do like the image taken with the hasselblad lens.

It takes a couple of days to get used to the Menu but it's not as bad as some of the reviews indicated.
Neil.

Handled one in Jessops yesterday. Feels really solid and well machined - oozes quality compared to other dslrs....wish my A200/A300 felt as good! Focus was instant too - everything about it felt right. However, the look from partner has put it on the backburner rather than in my pocket :)

We had a sudden storm build up yesterday while I was having my breakfast on the outlying islands . Even moving under the umbrella didn't stop me from getting wet but the light was amazing. I'm still having fun with the Sweep Panorama Mode.
Neil

Sony Nex 5 with Sony 16/2.8 P lens

Lamma Island,
Hong Kong,
China.
August 2010

Attachments

• storm harbour lamma pan nex5_DSC4075.jpg
    storm harbour lamma pan nex5_DSC4075.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 380
  • ferry harbour nex5_DSC4029.jpg
    ferry harbour nex5_DSC4029.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 360
  • storm harbour lamma nex5_DSC4086.jpg
    storm harbour lamma nex5_DSC4086.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 372
Hi neil, how long has it taken you to get used to the menu?

I got a NEX-5 with only the 16mm prime for habitat and forestscape photos on the run, because I seldom carried or mounted my Sigma 10-20mm no matter how much I love that lens or wanted the photos. Changing lenses in the wild was too much of a hassle, too much fear of getting the lenses soaked in the rain and filled with pollen/dust, and too much extra weight/bulk in my pack. The little NEX hangs in a pouch off my pack's chest strap or shoulder strap, and now I'm taking all those habitat and POV photos I've always wanted. I will need the wide angle converter to approach the Sigma's far more useful 10-12mm FOV, because 16mm is often a bit too narrow for what I want, but it's vastly better than nothing and easier and faster than mounting the 10-20 on my D300.

For my purposes the photos are almost always the same settings and always in A mode, so I haven't had to use the menus much. It's a slight hassle to change ISO in the menu system, but I usually only change it a couple times a day. I haven't tried the pan mode yet, though eventually I'll use that a lot. The one odd thing about the pan mode is you have to turn OFF "RAW" output to allow you to select it, and it isn't obvious from the error messages that's what it wants, so you have to add changing output mode before and after to the process for using the panorama mode.

How does the NEX-3 compare? I have had thoughts of using one as a backup for an Alpha 550, the video mode looks promising in both cameras as well.

[QUOTE.... The one odd thing about the pan mode is you have to turn OFF "RAW" output to allow you to select it, and it isn't obvious from the error messages that's what it wants, so you have to add changing output mode before and after to the process for using the panorama mode.[/QUOTE]

This should not be the case if you have the Image Size set to Raw + Jpeg. Just select Panorama Mode and fire away. It Saves as a Jpeg.
Neil.

Put the NEX 5 on my Nikon 300/4 AFS to shoot some local garden birds from a hide. The nice thing is it is much quieter than my Nikon D3s so little disturbance when in burst mode.
Manual Focus takes a little getting used to .
The third photo was taken with the Nikon 24/2.8D
Neil

Sony NEX-5 plus Nikon 300/4 AFS lens with adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
Sept 2010

Attachments

• spotted dove nex5 nik300 adj_DSC6419.jpg
    spotted dove nex5 nik300 adj_DSC6419.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 413
  • tree sparrow nex5 nik300_DSC6323.jpg
    tree sparrow nex5 nik300_DSC6323.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 383
  • tram wanchai nex5 nik24_DSC6534.jpg
    tram wanchai nex5 nik24_DSC6534.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 307
some cracking detail there, very nice indeed. Looks like you managed the focus very well. Was there any editing done on these?

A little bit of editing . Here is an unadjusted image.
Neil

Attachments

• spotted dove nex5 nik300_DSC6419.jpg
    spotted dove nex5 nik300_DSC6419.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 318
have you tried your Nex 5 with the clip on flash? I've just got my hands on an Nex 3 and am so far impressed with it, however the flash is less than useless so I wondering if I had a dud or if they are just rubbish...

Define "less than useless"? Compared to a pocket flashlight or striking a match or something?

Last edited:
Define "less than useless"? Compared to a pocket flashlight or striking a match or something?

Well if I have the camera in Av and set the aperture it seems to meter well and set the shutter speed for a good exposure. However with the flash in place it fails to meter correctly and the results are vastly under exposed, even dialling a couple of stops of flash comp still leave the shots badly under exposed.

The couple times I tried it the flash worked fine at a range of a few feet, though I've only used the camera in A mode. I'd check with dpreview's NEX forum.

Well I've looked into it a bit further and have spoken to Sony who have confirmed that this is a fault on the flash unit, so the camera is going back to the shop... they are out of stock at the moment so I'm going to get a refund and ponder my options on a pocketable camera again...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back