• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW alive (1 Viewer)

José Merízio Jr

Hi,

Does someone has visited the site "hbw alive"? I think there are something wrong, because I´m not getting to access no menu...

José

Last edited:
Lynx Edicions will be at the Ornithological Congress in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain, from 6th to 7th December and they will introduce the forthcoming HBW books and projects.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2086995637.298816.157727995637&type=1&theater
The 2011 promotional leaflet for the forthcoming Illustrated Checklist showed the maps arranged in a vertical column on the left margin of each plate. But from the photograph of Lynx's congress exhibit, the layout seems to have been redesigned, with individual maps now adjacent to the species concerned - a bit messy, but probably easier to use.

What about all new species which will be described in the next months/years? Will they include immediately into this database?

I subscribed to 'supporting membership' today. A few immediate observations...

• As expected, the taxonomic tree still reflects HBW 1–16, pending availability of the forthcoming HBW/BirdLife Checklist.

• Basic species accounts seem to be included for new species in the Special Volume (eg, Grallaria fenwickorum, Phylloscopus calciatilis, P occisinensis), but not for the 15 newly described Amazonian species. The completeness of the new online accounts is varied – eg, there are no bibliography sections for the two aforementioned Phylloscopus spp!

• Response to user selections sometimes seems rather slow (even with presumably very few subscribers so far), but it'll probably take a while a get a true feel for usability/performance in typical use...

• The tracking of references to source when available on the internet (the most important added feature with supporting membership) seems to be very much a future development. Every example I've tried so far reports "The link to PDF is a work in progress", although it offers to search using Google or Google Scholar. Probably better to subscribe to 'basic membership' at this stage, unless interested in the personal records facility (which I'm not).

• Some species accounts have been significantly updated, including embedded references (at last!) and hyperlinks (eg, to BirdLife species accounts and IBC multimedia) – a major enhancement. [Surprisingly, the all-new species accounts mentioned earlier don't have embedded refs or hyperlinks.] But the only obvious indication that a particular account has been updated is the presence of an 'update history' option – a prominent 'date of last update' would be helpful. The update history feature is quite impressive, allowing comparison between any two versions, including the original HBW printed material.

• A log of the latest species account updates (2,000+ in the past two months) is provided. However, it would be very useful to distinguish between the numerous updates that are limited to the insertion of hyperlinks, and 'real' updates where (eg) the text has been revised/expanded or a map has been improved etc. [As I already have the books, for me the most important aspect of HBW Alive is the ability to easily track and locate significant updates to the species accounts.]

• It would be helpful if the species accounts identified the account authors (original and revisers). Otherwise it'll still be necessary to consult the preliminary pages in the 17 printed volumes for authorship information.
Apologies if any of the above points reflect initial misunderstandings on my part.

PS. On the basis of a few examples, the species search facility (an important access route) doesn't seem to be 100% reliable. When Melanie asked me for the German names of a few recent species, I found that Puffinus bryani, Ninox leventisi and Pionopsitta aurantiocephala don't appear when searching for species in their genera, but can be accessed via the taxonomic tree (in the case of Ninox leventisi, embedded within Bubo together with N rumseyi & N ios!).

Last edited:
I have just taken out the basic subscription (being a cheapskate) - my records already go on multiple websites am not putting them into another and if I need to chase down a reference then I am sure it can be done through web searches or libraries.
Given that once a volume is published they are out of date very quickly, and that HBW Alive can apparently cope with large updates such as taxonomy changes I think this will be / is a great resource. There are undoubted teething issues with speed etc that I am sure will get sorted once the project has been live for longer. It certainly saves space on my bookshelves plus there is no way I could justify paying $350+ AUD per volume for 16 volumes!

Last edited:
Gradually working my way through the updated species log. Incidentally, this might be easier to consult if it was presented as a scrollable rather than paged list. Already there are 41 pages (50 updates/page), which makes it extremely tedious to step though to (say) page 20 – and this will only get worse with further updates...

It's great to see that some of the very rudimentary species accounts from the early volumes have been extensively revised, including much more detail, and with embedded references to recent literature. In time, hopefully all species accounts can be brought up to the high standard of the later volumes. One minor observation here – where embedded references to additional literature have been included, the references haven't always been added to the account's bibliography list.

However, as I mentioned before, some species updates are limited to the insertion of multimedia links, making it quite hard work to track down the significant species updates. It would be really, really useful if there were update codes associated with each species, allowing potentially interesting updates to be quickly located, eg:
  • T = taxonomic revision: generic reassignment, split/lump, or change to recognised sspp (probably n/a at this stage, pending availability of definitive checklist)
  • X = account expanded with extra detail
  • M = multimedia links inserted
The update code (and date of last update) should be displayed alongside the species name: in the taxonomic tree, in the updated species log, in species search results, and in the species accounts themselves. (If 'TXM yyyy/mm' is considered too unwieldy, perhaps there could be a single (expandable) 'updated' symbol instead.)

Although obviously a work-in-progress, I'm quite impressed so far. The subscription rates are a real bargain, especially for those who don't already have access to the printed volumes.

But it's obviously going to be a monumental task over several years to bring everything to a reasonably consistent, stable and up to date state. Adoption of the HBW/BirdLife checklist and modern systematics will require an overhaul of the taxonomic tree, with impacts on the family accounts and numerous generic reassignments and splits/lumps at species level. It will also require significant effort to develop the accounts from the early volumes to a level consistent with recent standards, and in parallel there's the painstaking task of inserting carefully-chosen multimedia hyperlinks and embedded references throughout...

PS. I'm amazed that there's been so little interest/feedback so far. Are Dom and I the only BirdForum members to have subscribed?! It's ridiculously good value (probably less than the cost of a tank of gas per year for many of us), and only takes a minute...

Last edited:
Are there major differences between the BLI accounts and the HBW Alive accounts?
Well, yes, Melanie. They're very different.

BirdLife species accounts have a taxonomic note and range map (and sometimes a brief description), but are otherwise heavily focused on conservation status (threats, habitat/ecology, population size and trends) – although links are also provided to xeno-canto (sounds) and IBC (multimedia) species accounts.

HBW species accounts include alternative names, taxonomic notes, subspecies and distribution, detailed descriptive notes, details of vocalisations, habitat, feeding, breeding, movements and conservation status, plus colour plates, range maps and bibliography (and, in the case of HBW Alive, embedded hyperlinks to IBC multimedia etc).

I also opted for the cheapest version (having my records on bubo) and I think it's really good value. As Richard said it seems to be a bit slow, but this is maybe the reason Lynx is not yet loudly promoting it.
A fabulous thing are the geographical filters for me (however, there could be some more filter options). Especially for countries and regions where there are now decent field guides this can be a good help for the travelling birder.

André

The video stated that the species' accounts will be available in different languages. It is already installed or is that a feature which is planned for the future?.

It would be helpful if the species accounts identified the account authors (original and revisers). Otherwise it'll still be necessary to consult the preliminary pages in the 17 printed volumes for authorship information.
Just realised that this information is available via the 'Account Information' option – I'd stupidly assumed that this concerned my HBW Alive user account. Apologies – I'm still finding my way around!

This provides exactly what I wanted:
– Original authors
– Original publication date
– Original source (volume & page nos)
– Revision authors
– Revision date

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back